A tree-driven multiple-rate model of time measuring in object-oriented real-time systems
This paper addresses the problem of measuring time in object-oriented event-driven real-time systems. Several possible implementations of the timing subsystem are considered. Some important consequences that an implementation can have on the overall time overhead are discussed.
The paper proposes a modified multiple-rate policy of updating software timers. Timing ticks are distributed through a tree structure in a way that tends to minimize the overall overhead, while retaining a small variation of the overhead in different clock cycles.
The paper presents the results of a comparative analysis of the described models. The analysis considers different exploitation conditions, in respect to the number of software timers and their resolutions.
Keywordsobject-oriented real-time systems event-driven systems time measuring
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allworth, S. T., Zobel, R. N., Introduction to Real-Time Software Design, Second ed., Springer-Verlag, 1987Google Scholar
- Booch, G., Object-Oriented Analysis and Design, Second ed., Benjamin-Cummings, 1994Google Scholar
- Furht, B., Grostick, D., Gluch, D., Rabbat, G., `Parker, J., McRoberts, M., Real-Time Unix Systems Design and Application Guide, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1991Google Scholar
- Gamma, E., Helm, R., Johnson, R., Vlissides, J., Design Patterns, Addison-Wesley, 1995Google Scholar
- Laplante, P. A., Real-Time Systems Design and Analysis, Second ed., IEEE Computer Society Press, 1997Google Scholar
- pSOSystem System concepts, Integrated systems Inc., 1994Google Scholar
- Selic, B., Gullekson, G., Ward, P., Real-Time Object-Oriented Modeling, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1994Google Scholar
- Silberschatz, A., Peterson, J. L., Glavin, P. G., Operating Systems Concepts, Third ed., Addison-Wesley, 1994Google Scholar
- Stankovic, J., Ramamritham, K., Hard Real-Time Systems —A Tutorial, IEEE Computer Society Press, 1988Google Scholar
- System Software for M7-300/400 Program Design, Programming Manual, Siemens AG, 1997Google Scholar