A reconfigurable hardware-monitor for communication analysis in distributed real-time systems
The importance of interprocess communication increases in recent embedded system designs. In particular this is true for distributed real-time systems, where mainly communication and synchronization cause violations of timing constraints. In this paper we present HarMonIC — a reconfigurable hardware monitoring system for the real-time observation of interprocess communication architectures. We will show that reconfigurability is essential for the use within a rapid prototyping environment like REPLICA. It will be demonstrated how HarMonIC can be used to significantly improve debugging, performance evaluation, and design space exploration of distributed real-time systems.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W.C. Brantley, K.P. McAuliffe, and T.A. Ngo. RP3 Performance Monitoring Hardware, pages 35–47. ACM Press, New York, 1989.Google Scholar
- 2.S.E. Chodrow, F. Jahanian, and M. Donner. Run-Time Monitoring of Real-Time-Systems. In Real-Time Systems Symposium, pages 74–83, Los Alamitos, USA, 1991. IEEE CS Press.Google Scholar
- 3.R. Ernst and T. Benner. Communication, constraints, and user-directives in cosyma. Technical report, Technical University of Braunschweig, 1994.Google Scholar
- 4.M. Gasteier et al. An Interactive Approach to Hardware/Software Co-Design. In International Workshop on Logic and Architecture Synthesis, pages 211–218, Grenoble, France, December 1996.Google Scholar
- 6.H.-J. Herpel et al. Real-Time System Prototyping Based on a Heterogeneous Multi-Processor Environment. In 5th Euromicro Workshop on Real Time Systems, pages 62–67, Oulu, 1993.Google Scholar
- 7.I-Cube Inc. IQX Family Data Sheet, 1996.Google Scholar
- 8.A. Kirschbaum and M. Glesner. Rapid Prototyping of Communication Architectures. In IEEE Workshop on Rapid System Prototyping, pages 136–141, Chapel Hill, USA, June 1997.Google Scholar
- 9.B. Mohr. SIMPLE — User's Guide Version 5.3. University of Erlangen, 1992.Google Scholar
- 10.B.A. Schroeder. On-Line Monitoring: A Tutorial. IEEE Computer, pages 72–78, June 1995.Google Scholar
- 11.J. Tsai and S. Yang. Monitoring and Debugging of Distributed Real-Time Systems. IEEE Computer Society Press, 1995.Google Scholar
- 12.B.P. Upender and P.J. Koopman Jr. Communication protocols for embedded systems. Embedded Systems Programming, 7(11):46–58, November 1994.Google Scholar
- 13.A. Varma and C.S. Raghavendra, editors. Interconnection Networks for Multiprocessors and Multicomputers — Theory and Praxis. IEEE Computer Society Press, 1994.Google Scholar
- 14.T.-Y. Yen and W. Wolf. Communication Synthesis for Distributed Embedded Systems. In International Conference on Computer Aided Design, pages 288–294. IEEE Computer Society Press, 1995. *** DIRECT SUPPORT *** A0008D07 00004Google Scholar