An autonomous facial caricaturing based on a model of visual illusion — Experimental modeling of visual illusion —
In the PICASSO system, a facial caricaturing system, some visual illusions such as the Wundt-Fick illusion and the Ponzo illusion for example, are applied to evaluate the shapes of the facial parts such as eyebrows, nose, mouth and face contour, in the deformation process of caricature generation. In many cases, as well-deformed caricatures are evaluated to be successful, it is confirmed that the utilization of the visual illusion is effective to evaluate the results of caricatures. In this paper, the models of mathematical expressions of visual illusions are presented together with the results of human experiments. And, a method to apply visual illusions and to control the exaggeration process is proposed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brennan,S.E.: “Caricature generation”, Degree of Master of Science in Vision Studies at MIT (Sep.1982)Google Scholar
- Dewdney,A.K.: “Computer recreation:computer caricature”, Science, pp.160–165 (Dec.1986) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Sakai,T and Kanade,T.: “Image analysis of human faces by computer”, Trans. IECE, Vol.56-D, No.4, pp.683–721 (Apr.1973) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Shiono,M., Takeda,T. and Murayama,T.: “System for caricatured portrait drawing from facial photographs”, The Journal of the Institute of Television Engineers of Japan, Vol.42, No.12, pp.1380–1386 (Dec.1988) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Akimoto,T. and Suenaga,Y.: “Facial image synthesis from front/side view and 3D base model”, Technical Report of IEICE, PRU88-47 (1988) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Aizawa,K., Yamada,Y., Harashima,H. and Saito,T.: “Modeling a person's face and synthesis of facial expressions for use in model based synthesis image coding system”, Technical Report of IEICE, IE87-2 (1987) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Imai,S.: “Figures of Optical Illusions”, Science Pub. (1984) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Murakami,K., Koshimizu,H., Nakayama,A. and Fukumura,T.: “Facial caricaturing based on visual illusion —a mechanism to evaluate caricature in PICASSO system—”, IEICE Trans. of Information and Systems, Vol.E76-D, No.4, pp.470–478 (1993)Google Scholar
- Murakami,K. and Koshimizu,H.: “Generation of Expressive Emotional Caricatures”, Journal of Inst. of Television Eng. of JAPAN, Vol.50, No.10, pp.1515–1521 (1996) (in Japanese)Google Scholar