Next best viewpoint (NBV) planning for active object modeling based on a learning-by-showing approach
The paper presents a new method of creating a complete model of a curved object from a sequence of range images acquired by a fixed range finder. A robot arm is used in order to change poses of the object. To accomplish the modeling fast and accurately in an opti-mal manner, we propose a new on-line viewpoint planning algorithm to choose the Next Best Viewpoint (NBV) based on already obtained the partial model.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. Besl, N. Mckay, “A Method for Registration of 3-D Shapes”, IEEE Trans. PAMI, vol.14, no.2, pp.239–256, 1992.Google Scholar
- 2.C.I. Connolly, “The Determination of Next Best Views”, Proc. ICRA, pp.432–435, 1985.Google Scholar
- 3.Y. Chen, G. Medioni, “Object Modeling by Registration of Multiple Range Images”, Image and Vision Computing, vol.10, no.3, pp.145–155, 1992.Google Scholar
- 4.E. Kruse, R. Gutsche, F.M. Wahl, “Efficient, Iterative Sensor Based 3-D Map Building Using Rating Functions in Configuration Space”, Proc. ICRA, pp.1067–1072, 1996.Google Scholar
- 5.A. Hilton, On Reliable Surface Reconstruction from Multiple Range Images, Technical Report VSSP-TR-5/95, Dept. EEE, Univ. of Surrey, 1995.Google Scholar
- 6.K. Higuchi, M. Hebert, K. Ikeuchi, “Building 3-D Models from Unregistered Range Images”, Proc. ICRA, pp.2248–2253, 1994.Google Scholar
- 7.K. Morooka, Automatic Modeling of 3-D Curved Objects on the Basis of Viewpoint Planning, M.S. Thesis, Dept. CSCE, Kyushu University (in Japanese), 1997Google Scholar
- 8.R. Pito, “A Sensor-Based Solution to the 'Next Best View' Problem”, Proc. ICPR, pp.941–945, 1996.Google Scholar
- 9.J.R.Stenstrom, C.I.Connolly, “Constructing Object Models from Multiple Images”, Int. Journal Computer Vision, vol.9, no.3, pp.185–212, 1992.Google Scholar
- 10.M. Soucy, D. Laurendeau, “A General Surface Approach to the Integration of a Set of Range Views”, IEEE Trans. PAMI, vol.17, no.4, pp.344–359, 1995.Google Scholar
- 11.H. Zha, K. Morooka, T. Hasegawa, T. Nagata, “Active Modeling of 3-D Objects: Planning on the Next Best Pose(NBP) for Acquiring Range Images”, Proc. Int. Conf. Recent Advances in 3-D Digital Imaging and Modeling, pp.68–75, 1997.Google Scholar
- 12.Z. Zhang, “Iterative Point Matching for Registration of Free-Form Curves and Surfaces”, Int. Journal Computer Vision, vol.13, no.2, pp.119–152, 1994.Google Scholar