Approximating unweighted connectivity problems in parallel
Given an integer k and a k-edge-connected graph G = (V, E), we wish to find an E1 ⊆ E of minimum size such that the graph (V, E1) is k-edge-connected. This problem is NP-hard and it is open whether there is an NC approximation algorithm with a constant performance ratio smaller than 2. Previously, the special case where the input integer k is fixed to be 2 was considered. This paper considers a much more general case where k is polylogarithmic in the size of the input graph, and presents the first NC approximation algorithm with a constant performance ratio smaller than 2 for this case. Unlike all the previous approximation algorithms and their analysis for this problem, ours need to deal with multiple edges in the input graph. We also consider the vertexanalogue of this problem in which we require k-vertex-connectivity instead of k-edge-connectivity. We present the first NC approximation algorithm with a constant performance ratio smaller than 2 for the special case where the input integer k is fixed to be 3. Previously, only the special case where k is fixed to be 2 was known to have an NC approximation algorithm with a constant performance ratio smaller than 2.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Cheriyan, M.-Y. Kao, and R. Thurimella, Algorithms for Parallel k-Vertex Connectivity and Sparse Certificates, SIAM J. Comput. 22 (1993), 157–174.Google Scholar
- 2.J. Cheriyan and R. Thurimella, Approximating Unweighted k-Connectivity via Matching, FOCS'96.Google Scholar
- 3.K.W. Chong and T.W. Lam, Approximating Biconnectivity in Parallel, SPAA'95, pp. 224–233.Google Scholar
- 4.K.W. Chong and T.W. Lam, Improving Biconnectivity Approximation via Local Optimization, SODA'96.Google Scholar
- 5.C.G. Fernandes, A Better Approximation Ratio for the Minimum k-EdgeConnected Spanning Subgraph Problem, SODA'97.Google Scholar
- 6.N. Garg, V. Santosh, and A. Singla, Improved Approximation Algorithms for Biconnected Subgraphs via Better Lower Bounding Techniques, SODA'93, pp. 103–111.Google Scholar
- 7.M. Grötschel, C. Monma, and M. Stoer, Design of Survivable Networks, in: Handbook in Operations Research and Management Science, Volume on Networks, 1993.Google Scholar
- 8.A. Israeli and Y. Shiloach, An Improved Maximal Matching Parallel Algorithm, IPL 22 (1986) 57–60.Google Scholar
- 9.D.R. Karger and R. Motwani, Derandomization through Approximation: An NC Algorithm for Minimum Cuts, STOC'94.Google Scholar
- 10.S. Khuller and B. Raghavachari, Improved Approximation Algorithms for Uniform Connectivity Problems, STOC'95, pp. 1–10.Google Scholar
- 11.S. Khuller and B. Schieber, Efficient Parallel Algorithms for Testing Connectivity and Finding Disjoint s-t Paths in Graphs, FOCS'89, pp. 288–293.Google Scholar
- 12.S. Khuller and U. Vishkin, Biconnectivity Approximations and Graph Carvings, JACM 41 (1994) 214–235.Google Scholar