Using multi-chromosomes to solve a simple mixed integer problem
Multi-chromosomes representations have been used in Genetic Algorithms to decompose complex solution representations into simpler components each of which is represented onto a single chromosome. This paper investigates the effects of distributing similar structures over a number of chromosomes. The solution representation of a simple mixed integer problem is encoded onto one, two, or three chromosomes to measure the effects. Initial results showed large differences, but further investigation showed that most of the differences were due to increased mutation, but multi-chromosome representation can give superior results.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Davidor, Y.: Genetic Algorithms And Robotics — A Heuristic Strategy For Optimization. Singapore: World Scientific Publishing, 1991.Google Scholar
- Hinterding, R.: Self-adaptation using Multi-chromosomes. In: Proceedings of the 4th IEEE International Conference on Evolutionary Computation. IEEE Press. 1997, pp 87–91.Google Scholar
- Hinterding, R., & Juliff, K.: A Genetic Algorithm for Stock Cutting: An exploration of Mapping Schemes. Technical Report 24COMP3. Department of Computer and Mathematical Sciences, Victoria University of Technology, Victoria Australia, 1993.Google Scholar
- Homaifar, A., Lai, S. H. Y., & Qi, X.: Constrained Optimization via Genetic Algorithms. Simulations, Vol. 62, 1994, pp. 242–254.Google Scholar
- Juliff, K.: A multi-chromosome genetic algorithm for pallet loading. In: Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Genetic Algorithms. 1993, pp. 476–73.Google Scholar
- Pierrot, H. J.: An investigation of Multi-chromosome Genetic Algorithms. Masters Thesis, Victoria University of Technology, Melbourne, Australia, 1997.Google Scholar
- Ronald, S., Kirkby, S., & Eklund, P.: Multi-chromosome Mixed Encodings for Heterogeneous Problems. In: Proceedings of the 4th IEEE International Conference on Evolutionary Computation. IEEE Press. 1997, pp 37–42.Google Scholar