Time optimal self-stabilizing algorithms
In this paper we present lower bounds on the stabilization time for a number of graph theoretic problems, as leader election, spanning tree construction, computing the diameter, the number of nodes, the connectivity or orientation on tori, rings, hypercubes and CCC. These bounds are of the form Ω(D), where D is the diameter of the network. Moreover, time-optimal self-stabilizing algorithms for computing the orientation on tori, rings, hypercubes and CCC are presented. This gives an answer to the problem 15.4 for tori stated in [Tel94b].
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AK93]Aggarwal, S., Kutten, S.: Time Optimal Self-Stabilizing Spanning Tree Algorithms. In Proc. of the Conference on Foundations of Software Technology and Theoretical Computer Science, LNCS 652 1993, pp. 400–410.Google Scholar
- [AV91]Awerbuch, B., Varghese, G.: Distributed Program Checking: a Paradigm for Building Self-stabilizing Distributed Protocols. In 32nd FOCS, October 1991, pp. 258–267.Google Scholar
- [Dij74]Dijkstra, E. W.: Self stabilization in spite of distributed control. In Comm. ACM 17, 1974 pp. 643–644.Google Scholar
- [DR97]Dobrev, S., Ružička, P.: Linear broadcasting and N log log N election in unoriented hypercubes. In SIROCCO, 1997, to appear.Google Scholar
- [FMS94]Flocchini, P., Mans, B., Santoro, N.: Sense of Direction: Formal Definitions and Properties. In SIROCCO, 1994, pp. 9–34.Google Scholar
- [Kra97]Královič, R.: Time Optimal Self-Stabilizing Algorithms. Technical Report, Dept. of Computer Science, Comenius University, Bratislava, 1997. Submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- [Lei92]Leighton, F. T.: Introduction to parallel algorithms and architectures: arrays, trees, hypercubes. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, Inc., San Mateo, USA, 1992.Google Scholar
- [PS95]Prasetya, I.S.W.B., Swierstra, S.D.: Formal Design of Self-stabilizing Programs. Technical report UU-CS-1995-07, Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University, 1995.Google Scholar
- [Tel94a]Tel, G.: Network Orientation. International Journal of Foundations of Computer Science 5, 1994, pp. 23–57.Google Scholar
- [Tel94b]Tel, G.: Introduction to Distributed Algorithms. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1994.Google Scholar
- [Tel95a]Tel, G.: Linear election in oriented hypercubes. Parallel Processing Letters 5, 1995, pp. 357–366.Google Scholar
- [Tel95b]Tel, G.: Sense of Direction in Processor Networks. In SOFSEM, LNCS 1012, 1995, pp. 50–82.Google Scholar