Global semaphores in a parallel programming environment
In this paper we present a global semaphores mechanism, and ported on various parallel programming environments. The whole mechanism is available as a library for the C programming language and some additional include files. The parallel applications programmer uses these functions in order to construct transparent synchronization schemes in a wide variety of parallel processing systems.
KeywordsParallel programming Synchronization Global semaphores
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. W. Dijkstra, “Co-operating Sequential Processes”, in Programming Languages, Genuys, F. (Ed.), London, Academic Press, 1965.Google Scholar
- 2.Al Geist, Adam Beguelin, Jack Dongarra, Weicheng Jiang, Robert Manchek, Vaidy Sunderam, “PVM: Parallel Virtual Machine”, The MIT Press, 1994.Google Scholar
- 3.Marc Snir, Steve Otto, Steven Huss-Lederman, David Walker, Jack Dongarra, “MPI: The Complete Reference”, The MIT Press, 1996.Google Scholar
- 5.Abraham Silberschatz, James L. Peterson, Peter B. Galvin, “Operating System Concepts”, Third Edition, Addison-Wesley, 1991.Google Scholar
- 6.Andrew S. Tanenbaum, “Operating Systems: Design and Implementation”, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, Prentice-Hall, 1987.Google Scholar
- 7.P. E. McKenney, “Selecting Locking Primitives for Parallel Programming”, Communications of the ACM, October 1996 / Vol. 39, No. 10.Google Scholar
- 8.Sarita V. Adve, Kourosh Gharachorloo, “Shared Memory Consistency Models: A Tutorial”, IEEE Computer, December 1996 / Vo1.29, No. 12.Google Scholar
- 9.P. Dasgupta, R. J. LeBlanc, Jr. M. Ahamad and U. Ramachandran, “The Clouds Distributed Operating System”, November 1991, IEEE.Google Scholar
- 10.Andrew S. Tanenbaum, “Modern Operating Systems”, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, Prentice-Hall, 1992.Google Scholar
- 11.P. Theodoropoulos, G. Manis, P. Tsanakas and G. Papakonstantinou, “Extending Synchronization PVM Mechanisms”, Proceedings of the Third European PVM Conference, Springer, October 1996.Google Scholar
- 12.J.J. Dongarra, S.W.Otto, M.Snir and D.Walker, “A Message Passing Standard for MPP and Workstations”, Communications of the ACM, July 1996 / Vol.39, No.7.Google Scholar