Developing non-local iterative parallel algorithms for GIS on Cray T3D using MPI
In the application context of spatial data analysis, several parallelisation strategies are proposed for algorithms which are characterized by the non-locality of computation and by the iterative nature of the data processing. Different parallelisation approaches are presented and the methods developed for Cray T3D using the MPI message passing library are briefly compared to a workstation-network solution. The better results in the two environments are obtained following different strategies. The lesson learned is that MPI and other message passing libraries provide valuable help for portability, but the development of efficient and portable parallel software needs the availability of higher level approaches supporting different parallelisation strategies in a simple and effective way.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A.Clematis, B.Falcidieno, M.Spagnuolo, Parallel processing on heterogeneous networks for GIS Applications, Int. Journal of Geographical Information Systems, saSpecial Issue on Parallel Processing in GIS, Vol. 10 (6), 747–767, 1996.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Clematis, M. Spagnuolo, Design and Implementation of Parallel Software for Terrain Characterisation on Irregularly Sampled Data, Proc. of the Fifth Euromicro Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Processing, 141–147, 1997Google Scholar
- 3.J.F.O'Callaghan, D.M.Mark, The extraction of drainage networks from digital elevation data, 1983Google Scholar
- 4.B.Falcidieno, C.Pienovi, M.Spagnuolo, Discrete surface models: constraint-based generation and understanding, In: B. Falcidieno, I. Herman, C. Pienovi (eds.) Computer Graphics and Mathematics, Focus on Computer Graphics Series, Springer-Verlag, 245–261, 1992Google Scholar
- 5.E.Puppo, L.Davis, D.De Manthon, Y.A.Teng, Parallel terrain triangulation, Int. Journal of Geographical Information Systems, Special Issue on Parallel Processing in GIS, Vol. 8(2), 105–128, 1996Google Scholar
- 6.E.McCormack, M.N.Gahegan, S.A.Roberts, J.Hoggs, B.S.Hoyle: Feature-based derivation of drainage networks, 1993Google Scholar
- 7.MPI Forum, MPI, a message passing interface standard, Technical report v.1.1, University of Tennessee, June 1995Google Scholar
- 8.K.Cameron, L.J.Clarke, A.G.Smith, CRI/EPCC MPI for Cray T3D, Conference paper, 1st European Cray T3D Workshop, EPFL, September 1995Google Scholar