Document explorer: Discovering knowledge in document collections
Document Explorer is a data mining system for document collections. Such a collection represents an application domain, and the primary goal of the system is to derive patterns that provide knowledge about this domain. Additionally, the derived patterns can be used to browse the collection. Document Explorer searches for patterns that capture relations between concepts of the domain. The patterns which have been verified as interesting are structured and presented in a visual user interface allowing the user to operate on the results to refine and redirect mining queries or to access the associated documents. The system offers preprocessing tools to construct or refine a knowledge base of domain concepts and to create an intermediate representation of the document collection that will be used by all subsequent data mining operations. The main pattern types, the system can search for, are frequent sets, associations, concept distributions, and keyword graphs. To enable the user to provide some explicit bias, the system provides a dedicated query language for searching the vast implicit spaces of pattern instances that exist in the collection.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Amir et al., 1997]Amir A., Aumann Y., Feldman R., and Katz O. Efficient Algorithm for Association Generation. Technical Report, Department of Computer Science, Bar-Ilan University, Israel.Google Scholar
- [Agrawal et al., 1995]Agrawal R., Mannila H., Srikant R., Toivonen H., and Verkamo I. Fast Discovery of Association Rules. In Advances in Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, Eds. U. Fayyad, G. Piatetsky-Shapiro, P. Smyth, and R. Uthurusamy, pages 307–328, AAAI Press.Google Scholar
- [Feldman et al. 1997]Feldman R., Kloesgen W. and Zilberstein A. Visualization Techniques for Exploring Data mining Results in Document Collections. In Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Knowledge Discovery (KDD-97), August 1997.Google Scholar
- [Feldman and Hirsh, 1997]Feldman R., and Hirsh H. “Exploiting Background Information in Knowledge Discovery from Text,”, Journal of Intelligent Information Systems, 1997.Google Scholar
- [Feldman and Dagan, 1995]Feldman R. and Dagan I. KDT-knowledge discovery in texts. In Proceedings of (KDD-95), August 1995.Google Scholar
- [Kloesgen 1995]Klösgen W. Efficient Discovery of Interesting Statements. The Journal of Intelligent Information Systems, Vol. 4, No l.Google Scholar
- [Kloesgen 1996]Klösgen W. Explora: A Multipattern and Multistrategy Discovery Assistant. In Advances in Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, eds.Google Scholar
- [Fayyad et al., 1996]U. Fayyad, G. Piatetsky-Shapiro, P. Smyth, and R. Uthurusamy, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.Google Scholar