Interactive model-based matching retrieval
We present a system for image retrieval based on the queryby-sketch technique. In our system the user formulates a query by drawing a sketch of the shape of the object (the “model”) he is looking for and requests all images, stored in a database, containing such similar object. The system evaluates the similarity between the shapes in the database and the rough sketch by applying, sequentially, three similarity criteria based on the shape description. The system tries to emulate some typical human features like the power of visual communication, the fast cognitive feedback loop and the relatively small memory load for a natural and inexpensive human-computer interaction.
Keywordsvisual communication human-computer interaction shape description query-by-sketch image retrieval model-based matching
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V.N. Guidivada and V.V. Raghavan, “Content-Based Image Retrieval Systems”, IEEE Computer, 22, N. 12, pp 18–22, 1995.Google Scholar
- 2.V.E. Ogle and Michael Stonebraker, “Chabot: Retrieval from a Relational Database of Images”, IEEE Computer, 22, N. 12, pp 40–48, 1995.Google Scholar
- 3.R.K. Srihari, “Automatic Indexing and Content-Based Retrieval of Captioned Images”, IEEE Computer, 22, pp 49–56, 1995.Google Scholar
- 4.W. I. Grosky, Y. Lu, “Iconic indexing using generalized pattern matching techniques”, Comp. Vision Graphics and Image Processing, 35, pp. 383–403, 1986.Google Scholar
- 7.A. Califano, R. Mohan “Multidimensional indexing for recognizing visual shape”, IEEE Trans. on Pattern, Analysis Machine Intell., 4, pp. 373–392, 1994.Google Scholar
- 8.Y. Lamdan, H. J. Wolfson “Geometric hashing: a general and efficient model-based recognition scheme”, Proc.of 2nd Intern. Conf. on Computer Vision, pp 238–249, (1988).Google Scholar
- 10.M. Flickner, H. Sawhney, W. Niblank, J. Ashley, Q. Huang, B. Dom, M. Gorkani, J. Hafner, D. Lee, D. Petkovic, D. Steel and P. Yanker, “Query by Image and Video Content: The QBIC Syatein”, IEEE Computer, 22, N. 12, pp 23–32, 1995.Google Scholar
- 11.P.D. Bruza, Stratified Information Disclosure: a Synthesys Between Hypermedia and Information Retrieval, PhD Thesis ISBN 90-9005760-9, Katholieke Universiteit Nijmegen, NL, 1993.Google Scholar
- 12.S.K. Chang, M.F Costabile and S. Levialdi, “Reality Bites — Progressive Querying and Result Visualization in logical and VR. Spaces”, IEEE Symposium on Visual Languages, pp. 100–109, 1994.Google Scholar
- 13.R. Mancini, “Interacting with a Visual Editor”, Proc. of the Int. Workshop on Advanced Visual Interfaces AVI'96, ACM Pres, T. Catarci, M.F. Costabile, S. Levialdi and G. Santucci Eds., pp. 125-131, 1996.Google Scholar
- 14.R.C. Gonzales, R.E. Woods, “Digital Image Processing”, Addison-Wesley, Reading MA,1992.Google Scholar
- 16.F.P. Preparata “Computational Geometry: an introduction”, Springer-Verlag, 1988.Google Scholar