Experiments on the decomposition of arbitrarily shaped binary morphological structuring elements
The decomposition of binary structuring elements is a key problem in morphological image processing. So far only the decomposition of convex structuring elements and of specific subsets of non-convex ones have been proposed in the literature. This work presents the results of a new approach, based on a Genetic Algorithm, in which no constraints are imposed on the shape of the initial structuring element, nor assumptions are made on the elementary factors, which are chosen from a given set.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Anelli, A. Broggi, and G. Destri. Decomposition of Arbitrarily Shaped Binary Morphological Structuring Elements using Genetic Algorithms. IEEE Trans PAMI, 1997. In press.Google Scholar
- 2.M. Bertozzi and A. Broggi. GOLD: a Parallel Real-Time Stereo Vision System for Generic Obstacle and Lane Detection. IEEE Trans Image Processing, 1997. In press.Google Scholar
- 3.A. Broggi. Speeding-up Mathematical Morphology Computations with Special-Purpose Array Processors. In Procs of the 27th HICSS, vol I, pages 321–330, 1994.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Broggi, G. Conte, F. Gregoretti, C. Sansoè, R. Passerone, and L. M. Reyneri. Design and Implementation of the PAPRICA Parallel Architecture. The Journal of VLSI Signal Processing, 1997. In press.Google Scholar
- 5.D. Goldberg. Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization and Machine Learning. Addison Wesley, Readings, MA, 1989.Google Scholar
- 6.R. M. Haralick, S. R. Sternberg, and X. Zhuang. Image Analysis Using Mathematical Morphology. IEEE Trans PAMI, 9(4):532–550, 1987.Google Scholar
- 7.J. Holland. Adaption in Natural and Artificial Systems. University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, MI, 1975.Google Scholar
- 8.G. Matheron. Random Sets and Integral Geometry. John Wiley, New York, 1975.Google Scholar
- 9.Z. Michalewicz. Genetic Algorithms + Data Structures = Evolution Programs. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1992.Google Scholar
- 10.H. Park and R. T. Chin. Optimal Decomposition of Convex Structuring Elements for a 4-Connected Parallel Array Processor. IEEE Trans PAMI, 16(3), March 1994.Google Scholar
- 11.H. Park and R. T. Chin. Decomposition of Arbitrarily Shaped Morphological Structuring Elements. IEEE Trans PAMI, 17(1), January 1995.Google Scholar
- 12.J. Serra. Image Analysis and Mathematical Morphology. Academic Press, 1982.Google Scholar
- 13.X. Zhuang and R. M. Haralick. Morphological structuring element decomposition. Computer Vision, Graphics, and Image Processing, 35:370–382, September 1986.Google Scholar