An energy minimisation approach to the registration, matching and recognition of images
This paper describes an image registration method for deformable objects like objects in medical images, in face or fingerprint recognitions tasks, etc. The method uses a global optimisation approach where a cost function is defined, capable of incorporating all available data and knowledge concerning the task. The method is demonstrated within the context of face recognition.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bani-Hashemi, A., Krishnan, A. and Samaddar, S.: Warped matching for digital subtraction of CT-angiography studies. Medical Imaging 1996: Image Processing, SPIE 2710 (1996) 428–437.Google Scholar
- 2.Cohen, L. D. and Cohen, I.: Finite element methods for active contour models and baloons for 2D and 3D images. PAMI, 15 (1993) 1131–1147.Google Scholar
- 3.Cuisenaire, O., Thiran, J. P., Macq, B., Michel, C., DeVolter, A. and F Marques, F.: Automatic registration of 3D MR Images with a computerised brain atlas. Medical Imaging 1996: Image Processing, SPIE 2710 (1996) 438–448.Google Scholar
- 4.Fang, S., Raghavan, R. and Richtsmeier, J. T.: Volume morphing methods for landmark based 3D image deformation. Medical Imaging 1996: Image Processing, SPIE 2710 (1996) 404–415.Google Scholar
- 5.Gee, J. C. and Haynor, D. R.: Rapid coarse-to-fine matching using scale-specific priors. Medical Imaging 1996: Image Processing, SPIE 2710 (1996) 416–427.Google Scholar
- 6.Lanitis, A., Taylor, C, J. and Cootes, T. F.: An automatic face identification system using flexible appearance models. British Machine Vision Conference 1994, 65–74.Google Scholar
- 7.Lanitis, A., Taylor, C. J. and Cootes, T. F.: A unified approach to coding and interpreting face images. ICCV'95, IEEE Computer Society Press, (1995) 368–373.Google Scholar
- 8.Pentland, A.: Perceptual organization and the representation of natural form, AI J 28 (1986) 1–38.Google Scholar
- 9.Richardson, D. B. and Bury, E. A.: 1996. Correlative techniques for cross-modality medical image registration. Medical Imaging 1996: Image Processing, SPIE 2710 (1996) 368–375.Google Scholar
- 10.Terzopoulos, D. and Metaxas, D.: Dynamic 3D models with local and global deformations: Deformable superquadrics, PAMI, 13 (1991) 703–714.Google Scholar