Character extraction from scene image using fuzzy entropy and rule-based technique
This paper presents a segmentation technique based on fuzzy logic and information entropy principle to extract alphanumeric characters from general scene images. In this approach, the scene images are segmented into various regions based on fuzzy entropy method. A coarse searching technique is then implemented to locate potential character regions, followed by a rule-based character detecting technique to accurately extract characters. The x-projection/profile is also applied to search for any missing characters. Test results show that the proposed method is capable of extracting alphanumeric characters from various scene images under badly illuminating condition.
Key wordsThresholding region grouping fuzzy entropy pattern analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- B.T. Chun, J. Soh and B.W. Min, Locating Number Plates on Vehicles by Using Topographical Features, Proc. ACCV'93, 430–433, Japan, 1983Google Scholar
- T. K. Lim, J. T. Ong, et al., Image Segmentation and Character Recognition of Vehicle License Plates for Electronic Road Pricing, Proc. ICARCV'92, 1663–1667, Singapore, 1992Google Scholar
- J. Ohya, A.Shio and S.Akamatru, Recognising Characters in Scene Images, IEEE Trans. PAMI, Vol. 16, No. 2, 214–220, Feb. 1994Google Scholar
- M. He and A. L. Harvey, Vehicle Number Plate Location for Character Recognition, Proc. ACCV'95, 1425–1428, Singapore, 1995Google Scholar
- L. Z. Yong and Opas Chutatape, A Method for Car Number Plate Character Extraction, Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on SPCS'95, 256–259, Singapore, 1995Google Scholar
- K. Lim, J.T. Ong, and M. A. Do, Development of an Electronic Camera Enforcement System for Electronic Road Pricing, Proc. ICARCV'92, CV15.3.1–15.3.6, Singapore, 1992Google Scholar
- K. Miyamoto, K. Nagano, et al., Vehicle Licence-Plate Recognition By Image Analysis, Proc. IEEE IECON'91, 1734–1738, Japan, 1991Google Scholar
- S.K. Pal and D. Dutta Majumder, Fuzzy Mathematical Approach to Pattern Recognition, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1986Google Scholar
- A.K. Jain, Fundamentals of Digital Image Processing, Prentice-Hall, 1989Google Scholar
- J.N.Kapur, P.K.Sahoo and A.K.C. Wong, A New Method for Grey-Level Picture Thresholding Using the Entropy of the Histogram, CVGIP, V29, 273–285, 1985Google Scholar