VINES: Distributed algorithms for a web-based distributed network management system
Rapid growth in networks and related services have resulted in demands for more effective, accessible, intelligent and scalable network management systems. Not only managers but also users need access to network management information. Traditional network management architectures are utterly inadequate to meet these requirements. In this work we describe VINES - a next generation network management system that builds on state-of-the-art technolgy and latest results. VINES uses a new web-based management architecture, that is intelligent and distributed. A set of Management Domain Servers, implementing an elaborate access control mechanism, allows access to management information without compromising security. To realize the new architecture a new knowledge base framework is designed, highly effective detection and diagnosis algorithms are employed, and the resilience of the management system to network failures is ensured. The results of an experimental prototype are discussed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G.Mansfield, M.Murata, K.Higuchi, K.Jayanthi, B.Chakraborty, Y.Nemoto, S.Noguchi, “An SNMP-based Expert Network Management System”,IEICE Trans. COMMUN., Vol.E75-B,N0.8, pp.701–708, August 1992.Google Scholar
- 2.M. Kitahashi, S. Noguchi, “Object Oriented Analysis for Network Management” Journal of the Information Processing Society of Japan, vol-35, No 6, June 1994.Google Scholar
- 3.G.Mansfield, M.Ouchi, K.Jayanthi, Y.Kimura, K.Ohta, Y.Nemoto, “"Techniques for automated Network Map Generation using SNMP”, Proc. of INFOCOM'96, pp.473–480, March 1996.Google Scholar
- 4.E. P. Duarte Jr., G. Mansfield et. al. “Non-Broadcast Network Fault-Monitoring Based on System-Level Diagnosis” Proceedings of ISINM97, San Diego, May 1997.Google Scholar
- 5.William Stallings: “SNMP, SNMPv2, and CMIP-the Practical Guide to Network Management Standards-”, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company 1993.Google Scholar
- 6.T. Bates, E. Gerich, et.al. “Representation of IP Routing Policies in a Routing Registry” ripe-181, http://www.ra.net/RADB.tools.doc/ripe-181.html, October 1994.Google Scholar
- 7.S. Williamson, M. Kosters, “Referral Whois Protocol (RWhois)” RFC1714, December 1994.Google Scholar
- 8.E. Feinler, K. Harrenstien, M. Stahl, “NILNAME/WHOIS” RFC0954, January 1985.Google Scholar
- 9.P. Mockapetris, “Domain names — concepts and facilities” RFC1035, January 1987.Google Scholar
- 10.K. Ohta, T. Mori, H. Sone, G. Mansfield, Y. Nemoto, et. al. “Divide and Conquer Technique for Network Fault Management” Proceedings of ISINM97, San Diego, May 1997.Google Scholar
- 11.E.P. Duarte Jr., T. Nanya “Hierarchical Adaptive Distributed System-Level Diagnosis Applied for SNMP-based Network Fault Management” Proceedings of the 15th IEEE Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems, Niagara-on-the-Falls, October 1996.Google Scholar