Case-Based reasoning in an ultrasonic rail-inspection system
Non-destructive testing (NDT) is often used for periodical inspection of infrastructure (e.g. railroads, pipelines). The inspection results in huge amounts of data which usually has to be analysed by an operator (or a team of operators) for occurrence of defect indications. This paper presents an example of use of case-based reasoning in interpretation of data from non-destructive testing, namely, a prototype for classification of images from an ultrasonic rail-inspection system. The reasons for the choice of case-based reasoning instead of statistical classification or a rule-based expert-system approach are explained. The overall design of the prototype is described and observations and conclusions relating to the prototype and generally to the use of CBR for NDT are presented.
Key wordsnon-destructive testing ultrasonic inspection rail inspection image interpretation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Giarratano, J. and Riley G. (1989): Expert Systems: Principles and Programming, PWS-KENT, BostonGoogle Scholar
- Hopgood, F.F., Woodcock, N., Hallam, N.J. and Picton, P.D. (1993): Interpreting ultrasonic images using rules, algorithms and neural networks, European Journal of NDT, Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 135–149.Google Scholar
- Jarmulak, J. (1996): B-scan Image clustering and Interpretation in Ultrasonic Rail-Inspection System, in ASCI'96 Proceedings of the second annual conference of the Advanced School for Computing and Imaging, Lommel, Belgium, June 5–7, 1996, Kerckhoffs, E.J.H., Sloot, P.M.A, Tonino, J.F.M. and Vossepoel, A.M. (eds.), ASCI, Delft, pp. 190–195.Google Scholar
- Mark, W., Simoudis, E. and Hinkle, D. (1996): Case-Based Reasoning: Expectations and Results, in Case-Based Reasoning: Experiences, Lessons & Future Directions, Leake D.B. (ed.), MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, pp. 269–294.Google Scholar
- Perner, P. (1993): Case-Based Reasoning for Image Interpretation in Non-Destructive Testing, in Proceedings of the First European Workshop on Case-Based Reasoning EWCBR-93, University of Kais-erslautern, Germany, pp. 403–409.Google Scholar
- Roos, J. (1990): Het ultrasoon railinspectie systeem, NAG Journal, Nr. 105, Nov., pp. 21–34Google Scholar
- Sarle, W.S. (1994): Neural Networks and Statistical Models, in Proceedings of the Nineteenth Annual SAS Users Group International Conference, April 1994.Google Scholar
- Surma, J. and Vanhoof, K. (1995): Integrating Rules and Cases for the Classification Task, in Proceedings of the First International Conference on Case-Based Reasoning ICCBR-95, Portugal, pp. 325–334Google Scholar
- Udpa, L. and Udpa. S.S. (1991): Neural networks for the classification of nondestructive evaluation signals, IEE Proceedings-F, Vol. 138, No. 1, February, pp. 41–45.Google Scholar