Approximation results for the optimum cost chromatic partition problem
In this paper, we study the optimum cost chromatic partition (OCCP) problem for several graph classes. The OCCP problem is the problem of coloring the vertices of a graph such that adjacent vertices get different colors and that the total coloring costs are minimum.
We prove that there exists no polynomial approximation algorithm with ratio O(|V|0.5−ɛ) for the OCCP problem restricted to bipartite and interval graphs, unless P=NP.
Furthermore, we propose approximation algorithms with ratio O(|V|0.5) for bipartite, interval and unimodular graphs. Finally, we prove that there exists no polynomial approximation algorithm with ratio O(|V|1−ɛ) for the OCCP problem restricted to split, chordal, permutation and comparability graphs, unless P=NP.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bodlaender, H.L., Jansen, K., Woeginger, G.: Scheduling with incompatible jobs. Graph Theoretic Concepts in Computer Science, LNCS 657 (1992) 37–49Google Scholar
- 4.Gavril, F.: Algorithms for maximum k-colorings and k-coverings of transitive graphs. Networks 17 (1987) 465–470.Google Scholar
- 5.Golumbic, M.C.: Algorithmic graph theory and perfect graphs, Academic Press, New York (1980)Google Scholar
- 6.Jansen, K., Scheffler, P., Woeginger, G.J.: Maximum covering with D cliques. Fundamentals of Computation Theory, LNCS 710 (1993) 319–328Google Scholar
- 7.Jansen, K.: The optimum cost chromatic partition problem. Algorithms and Complexity, LNCS 1203 (1997) 25–36Google Scholar
- 8.Jansen, K.: Approximation results for the optimum cost chromatic partition problem. Universität Trier, Forschungsbericht 1 (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Kroon, L.G., Sen, A., Deng, H., Roy, A.: The optimal cost chromatic partition problem for trees and interval graphs. Graph Theoretical Concepts in Computer Science, LNCS (1996)Google Scholar
- 10.Sen, A., Deng, H., Guha, S.: On a graph partition problem with an application to VLSI layout. Information Processing Letters 43 (1992) 87–94Google Scholar