An abstract data type for real numbers
We present a PCF-like calculus having real numbers as a basic data type. The calculus is defined by its denotational semantics. We prove the universality of the calculus (i.e. every computable element is definable). We address the general problem of providing an operational semantics to calculi for the real numbers. We present a possible solution based on a new representation for the real numbers.
keywordsreal number computability domain theory denotational and operational semantics abstract data types
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BC90]H.-J. Boehm and R. Cartwright. Exact real arithmetic: formulating real numbers as functions. In David Turner, editor, Research topics in functional programming, pages 43–64. Addison-Wesley, 1990.Google Scholar
- [BCRO86]H.-J. Boehm, R. Cartwright, M. Riggle, and M.J. O'Donell. Exact real arithmetic: a case study in higher order programming. In ACM Symposium on lisp and functional programming, 1986.Google Scholar
- [DG93]P. Di Gianantonio. A functional approach to real number computation. PhD thesis, University of Pisa, 1993.Google Scholar
- [EE96]A. Edalat and M. Escardo. Integration in real pcf. In IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science, 1996.Google Scholar
- [Esc96]M. Escardo. Pcf extended with real numbers. Theoret. Comput. Sci, July 1996.Google Scholar
- [Lac59]D. Lacombe. Quelques procédés de définitions en topologie recursif. In Constructivity in mathematics, pages 129–158. North-Holland, 1959.Google Scholar
- [ML70]P. Martin-Lof. Note on Constructive Mathematics. Almqvist and Wiksell, Stockholm, 1970.Google Scholar
- [MM]V. Ménissier-Morain. Arbitrary precission real arithmetic: design and algorithms. Submitted to the Journal of Symbolic Computation. Available at http://pauillac.inria.fr/menissier.Google Scholar
- [Sco70]Dana Scott. Outline of the mathematical theory of computation. In Proc. 4th Princeton Conference on Information Science, 1970.Google Scholar
- [Str94]T. Streicher. A universality theorem for pcf with recursive types, parallel-or and ∃. Mathematical Structures for Computing Science, 4(1):111–115, 1994.Google Scholar
- [Vui88]J. Vuillemin. Exact real computer arithmetic with continued fraction. In Proc. A.C.M. conference on Lisp and functional Programming, pages 14–27, 1988.Google Scholar
- [Wei87]K. Weihrauch. Computability. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, 1987.Google Scholar