Inter-domain integration of services and service management
The evolution of the global telecommunications industry into an open services market presents developers of telecommunication service and management systems with many new challenges. Increased competition, complex service provision chains and integrated service offerings require effective techniques for the rapid integration of service and management systems over multiple organisational domains. These integration issues have been examined in the ACTS project Prospect by developing a working set of integrated, managed telecommunications services for a user trial. This paper presents the initial results of this work detailing the technologies and standards used, the architectural approach taken and the application of this approach to specific services.
KeywordsInter-domain service management TINA Service Architecture reusable service components
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Crowcroft]Crowcroft, J., Wang, Z., Smith, A., Adams, J., A Rough Comparison of the IETF and ATM Service Models, IEEE Networks, Vol, 9, No. 6, July 1995Google Scholar
- [Bjerring]Bjerring, L., Lewis, D., Thorarensen, I., An Inter-domain Virtual Private Network Management Service, IEEE/IFIP 1996 Network Operations and Management Symposium, Vol 1, pp115–123, IEEE, NJ, 1996Google Scholar
- [OMA]Object Management Architecture Guide, ed. R.M. Soley, OMG document Number 92.11.1, Revision 2.0 Second Edition, Object Management Group, 1992Google Scholar
- [RSVP]Zhang, L., Deering, S., Estrin, D., Shenker, S., Zappala, D., RSVP, a new resource ReSerVation protocol, IEEE Network, vol. 7, no. 5, September/October 1993Google Scholar
- [TINA-DPE]Graubmann, P., Mercouroff, N., Engineering modelling Concepts (DPE Architecture), TINA Baseline Document TB_NS.005_2.0_94, December 1994Google Scholar
- [TINA-MA]de la Fuente, L., A., Walles, T., Management Architecture, TINA Baseline Document TB_GN.010_2.0_94, December 1994Google Scholar
- [TINA-SA]Bernt, H., Kim, C., Kim, L., et al., Service Architecture, TINA Baseline Doc. No. TB_MDC.012_2.0-94, TINA-C, March 1994Google Scholar
- [Wade]Wade, V., Sheppard, M., Tschichholz, M., Hall, J., Lewis, D., A Methodology for Developing Integrated Multi-domain Service Management Systems, Proceeding of IS&N '97, Como, Italy, April 1997Google Scholar