Computer aided teaching of programming languages
This paper is concerned with the application of computer-based techniques for the teaching of programming languages. Here the concepts and ideas of computer-aided teaching are discussed within the context of an Adaspecific role. Issues covered include the psychology of teaching and learning, the perception of teaching material by students, and the use of animation to enhance learning. The essential features of a specially developed Ada computer-based teaching package are described within the paper.
KeywordsComputer aided teaching animation and simulation programming languages Ada
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J.A. Kulik, C.C. Kulik, and P.A. Cohen. Effectiveness of computer based college teaching: a meta-analysis of findings, Review of Educational Research, 50(4), pp525–544, 1980.Google Scholar
- S.W. Tsai and N.F. Pohl. Student achievement in computer programming: lecture vs. computer aided instruction, Journal of Experimental Education, 46(2), pp66–70, 1977.Google Scholar
- J. Preece et al. Human Computer Interaction, Addison-Wesley, 1994.Google Scholar
- M. Elliott. The use of computer assisted learning in the development of software engineering, Report JEC/94/IT/ELL, Dept. of Electronic and Electrical Eng. Loughborough University, 1994.Google Scholar
- A.J. Whinray. Computer aided tools for structured software methods, Report JEC/96/ELXD/WHI, Dept. of Electronic and Electrical Eng. Loughborough University, 1996.Google Scholar
- C. Barrington. The development of a computer aided teaching package for objectoriented design, Report JEC/96/IT/BAR, Dept. of Electronic and Electrical Eng. Loughborough University, 1996.Google Scholar
- N. Duff. Animation and simulation for teaching programming, Report JEC/96/IT/DUF, Dept. of Electronic and Electrical Eng. Loughborough University, 1996.Google Scholar
- Asymetrix, Multimedia ToolBook, Multimedia authoring system for Windows, Bellvue, WA 98004-5840, USA.Google Scholar
- J.E. Cooling, N. Cooling and J. Cooling. Introduction to Ada, Chapman and Hall, 1993.Google Scholar