Experience with Change-oriented SCM tools
- 120 Downloads
In the recent years two approaches in Software Configuration Management (SCM) tools have been emphasized: a Change-oriented model and a Version-model approach. This paper gives an overview of two Change-oriented SCM tools developed at ABB Industrial Systems and describes the experience with their usage. The first tool is strictly change-oriented and it requires formal consistency of the entire software system. The second one is more pragmatic and less formal. It uses both Version and Change approach. The experience shows that a tool that supports a Change Management is very important in large software systems, especially in the verification and maintenance phase. Change Management is not only used as a part of a SCM tool, but in the entire development/maintenance process; in planning, producing release documentation, etc. However, a usage of a strictly change-oriented tool has shown that programmers find the method too complicated and unpredictable. The second tool that controls software component versions, but also supports Change Management in the development process appears to be more effective.
KeywordsChange Management System Version Logical Change Product Version Work Level
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ian Sommerville (Ed.), Software Configuration Management — Introduction, Software Configuration Management ICSE'96 Workshop, Berlin, March 1996, Selected Papers, Springer Verlag, ISBN 3-540-61964-X, pages 1–7Google Scholar
- 2.Reinder Conradi and Bernhard Westfechtel, Configuring Versioned Software Products, Software Configuration Management ICSE'96 Workshop, Berlin, March 1996, Selected Papers, Springer Verlag, ISBN 3-540-61964-X, pages 88–109Google Scholar
- 3.Ivica Crnkovic, Large Scale Software System Management, Ph. D. Thesis 1990, University of Zagreb, Faculty of Electrical Engineering Google Scholar
- 4.Walter F. Tichy, RCS — A System for Version Control, Software and Practice Experience, 15(7):635–654, 1985Google Scholar
- 5.Ivica Crnkovic, Experience of Using a simple SCM Tool in a Complex Development Environment, Software Configuration Management ICSE'96 Workshop, Berlin, March 1996, Selected Papers, Springer Verlag, ISBN 3-540-61964-X, pages 262–263Google Scholar