On the word problem for free lattices
Part of the Lecture Notes in Computer Science book series (LNCS, volume 1232)
We prove completeness of a rewrite-based algorithm for the word problem in the variety of lattices and discuss the method of non-symmetric completion with regard to this variety.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. Bachmair and D. Plaisted. Termination orderings for associative-commutative rewriting systems. J. Symbolic Computation, 1(4):329–349, 1985.Google Scholar
- 2.C. Delor and L. Puel. Extension of the associative path ordering to a chain of associative-commutative symbols. In C. Kirchner, editor, Rewriting Techniques and Applications, volume 690 of LNCS, pages 389–404. Springer-Verlag, 1993.Google Scholar
- 3.R. Freese, J. Ječek, and J.B. Nation. Term rewrite systems for lattice theory. J. Symbolic Computation, 16:279–288, 1993.Google Scholar
- 4.R. Freese, J. Ječek, and J.B. Nation. Free Lattices, volume 42 of Surveys and Monographs. American Mathematical Society, 1995.Google Scholar
- 5.J. Levy and J. Agustí. Bi-rewriting, a term rewriting technique for monotonic order relations. In C. Kirchner, editor, Rewriting Techniques and Applications, volume 690 of LNCS, pages 17–31. Springer-Verlag, 1993.Google Scholar
- 6.J. Levy and J. Agustí. Bi-rewrite systems. J. Symbolic Computation, 22:279–314, 1996.Google Scholar
- 7.R.N. McKenzie, G.F. McNulty, and W.F. Taylor. Algebras, Varieties and Lattices, volume I. Wadsworth & Brooks/Cole, 1987.Google Scholar
- 8.G. Struth. Non-symmetric rewriting. Technical Report MPI-I-96-2-004, Max-Planck-Institut für Informatik, Saarbrücken, 1996.Google Scholar
- 9.Ph.M. Whitman. Free lattices. Ann. of Math., 42(2):325–330, 1941.Google Scholar
- 10.Ph.M. Whitman. Free lattices (II). Ann. of Math., 43(2):104–115, 1942.Google Scholar
© Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 1997