Genetic algorithms with optimal structure applied to Evolvable HardWare (EHW)
Evolvable HardWare (EHW) is a concept that describes those hardware circuits that adapt themselves as a response to environment changes or hardware faults. Such kind of circuit is a FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array) or a PLD (Programmable Logic Device) whose program is being evolved by a GA (Genetic Algorithm)
Actually there are two types of EHWs: with on-line evolution and with off-line evolution. The on-line evolution type can be used to evolve hardware circuits that act as a fault tolerant backup circuits  or as digital controllers for autonomous robots . The off-line evolution type can act as an evolutionary approach for VLSI (Very Large Scale Integration) circuits design or non-standard FPGA's or PLD's programming technique . In this case the evolved circuit can not react to the environmental changes or hardware faults that occur after the design (programming) phase. In this paper there are described the best operators in terms of GA convergence for the off-line PLD programming.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Higuchi, M. Iwata, I. Kajitani “Evolvable Hardware and Its Application to Pattern Recognition and Fault-Tolerant Systems”, “Towards Evolvable Hardware”. (Sanchez E., Tomassini M. eds.), Springer, 1995, pp.119–135Google Scholar
- 2.Kitano “Morphogenesis for Evolvable Hardware”, “Towards Evolvable Hardware”. (Sanchez E., Tomassini M. eds.), Springer, 1995, pp.99–117Google Scholar
- 3.Sanchez “Field Programmable Gate Array Circuits”, “Towards Evolvable Hardware” (Sanchez E., Tomassini M. eds.), Springer, 1995, pp.1–18Google Scholar
- 4.Thompson, “Evolving Fault Tolerant Systems”, Proc. 1st IEE/IEEE IC on GA's in Eng. Sys. (GALESIA'95), IEE Conf. Pub 414, 1995, pp. 524–529Google Scholar
- 5.Thompson, “Evolving Electronic Robot Controllers that Exploit Hardware Resources”, Advances in Artificial Life: Proc 3rd ECAL (ECAL95), ed. Moran F., et al, Springer Verlag Lecture Notes in AI (929), 1995, pp. 640–656Google Scholar