Locally adaptive fuzzy image enhancement
In recent years, some researchers have applied the concept of fuzziness to develop new enhancement algorithms. The global fuzzy image enhancement methods, however, fail occasionally to achieve satisfactory results. In this work, we introduce a locally adaptive version of two existing fuzzy image enhancement algorithms to overcome this problem.
Keywordsfuzzy image enhancement minimization of fuzziness histogram hyperbolization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Banks, S., Signal Processing, Image Processing and Pattern Recognition, Prentice Hall International, 1990.Google Scholar
- 2.Gonzalez, R. C., Woods, R. E., Digital Image Processing, Addison-Wesley Publishing Group, second edition, 1992.Google Scholar
- 3.King, R.A., Pal, S. K., Image Enhancement Using Smoothing with Fuzzy Sets, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, vol. SMC-11, no. 7, pp. 494–501, July 1981.Google Scholar
- 4.King, R. A., Pal, S. K., On edge detection of X-ray images using fuzzy sets, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. PAMI-5, No. 1, pp. 69–77, 1983.Google Scholar
- 5.Pal, S. K., Fuzziness, Image Information and Scene Analysis. In: Yager, R., Zadeh, L. A.: An Introduction to Fuzzy Logic Applications in Intelligent Systems, pp. 147–183, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1992.Google Scholar
- 6.Ross, T. J., Fuzzy Logic with Engineering Applications, McGraw-Hill, USA, 1995.Google Scholar
- 7.Tizhoosh, H. R., Fochem, M., Image Enhancement with Fuzzy Histogram Hyperbolization, Proceedings of EUFIT'95, vol. 3, pp. 1695–1698, Aachen, Germany, 1995.Google Scholar
- 8.Zadeh, L. A., Fuzzy Sets, Information and Control 8, p. 338–353, 1965.Google Scholar
- 9.Zadeh, L. A., A Fuzzy-Set-Theoretic Interpretation of Linguistic Hedges, J. Cybern., vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 4–34, 1972.Google Scholar