Application of fuzzy control to fed-batch yeast fermentation
A new fuzzy controller has been designed and compared with the one developed previously for the control of fed-batch yeast fermentation. The respiratory quotient (RQ) was used as controller input and flow rate of glucose solution was controlled to maximize conversion of glucose to biomass. The new controller was found to be stable throughout the production period, keeping the glucose flow rate at the desired value, whereas the old controller was unstable towards the end of the fermentation and was unable to control and minimize the ethanol concentration in the fermentation broth.
KeywordsFuzzy control fed-batch process baker's yeast
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yamane T., Shimizu S., Fed-batch Techniques in Microbial Processes, Advances in Biochemical Eng./Biotechnology, Vol. 30, pp. 145–194, 1984.Google Scholar
- 2.M. Kishimoto, Y. Kitta, S. Takeuchi, M. Nakajima, T. Yoshida, “Computer Control of Glutamic Acid Production Based on Fuzzy Clusterization of Culture Phases”, J. Ferment. Bioeng., Vol. 72,pp.110, 1991.Google Scholar
- 3.T. Nakamura, T. Kuratani, Y. Morita, “Fuzzy Control Application to Glutamic Acid Fermentation”, in Proc. 1st IFAC Symposium on Modelling and Control of Biotechnological Processes, Noordwijkerhout, The Netherlands, December 1985.Google Scholar
- 4.K. Oishi, M. Tominaga, A. Kawato, Y. Abe, S. Imayasu, A. Nanba, “Application of Fuzzy Control to Sake Brewing Process”, J. Ferment. Bioeng., Vol. 72, pp. 115, 1991.Google Scholar
- 5.C.G. Alfafara, K. Miura, H. Shimizu, S. Shioya, K. Suga, and K. Suzuki, “Fuzzy Control of Ethanol Concentration and Its Application to Maximum Glutathione Production in Yeast Fed-Batch Culture”, Biotechnol. Bioeng., Vol. 41, pp. 493–501, 1993.Google Scholar
- 6.Y.S. Park, Z.P. Shi, S. Shiba, C. Chantal, S. Iijima, T. Kobayashi, “Application Of Fuzzy Reasoning To Control Of Glucose And Ethanol Concentrations In Baker's Yeast Culture”, Appl. Microbial. Biotechnol., Vol. 38, pp. 649–655, 1993.Google Scholar
- 7.B.E. Postlethwaite, “A Fuzzy State Estimator For Fed-Batch Fermentation”, Chem. Eng. Res. Des.,Vol. 67,pp. 267–272, 1989.Google Scholar
- 8.N. Besli, M. Turker, E. Gul, Design and Simulation of a Fuzzy Controller for Fed-Batch Yeast Fermentation, Bioprocess Engineering, Vol 13, pp. 141–148, 1995.Google Scholar
- 9.B. Sonnleitner, O. Kappeli, “Growth of Saccharomyces cerevisiae is Controlled by Its Limited Respiration Capacity: Formulation and Verification of a Hypothesis”, Biotechnol. Bioeng.,Vol. 28, pp. 927–937, 1986.Google Scholar