Improved approximations of independent dominating set in bounded degree graphs
We consider the problem of finding an independent dominating set of minimum cardinality in bounded degree and regular graphs. We first give approximate heuristics for MIDS in cubic and at most cubic graphs, based on greedy and local search techniques.
Then, we consider graphs of bounded degree B and B-regular graphs, for B ≥ 4. In particular, the greedy phase proposed for at most cubic graphs is extended to any B and iteratively repeated until the degree of the remaining graph is greater than 3. Finally, the algorithm for at most cubic graphs is executed.
1.923 for cubic graphs;
2 for at most cubic and 4-regular graphs;
(B2−2B+2)(B+1)/B2+1 for B-regular graphs, B≥5;
(B2−B+1)(B+1)/B2+1 for graphs of bounded degree B≥4.
KeywordsMinimum Independent Dominating Set Approximation Algorithms Bounded Degree Graphs Regular Graphs Cubic Graphs Greedy Local Search
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. Berman, M. Fürer, Approximating Maximum Independent Set in Bounded Degree Graphs, Proc. 5-th Ann. ACM-SIAM Symp. on Discrete Algorithms, ACM-SIAM, 365–371, 1994.Google Scholar
- 2.M. Bellare, O. Goldreich, M. Sudan, Free Bits, PCPs and non-approximability towards tight results, Proc. of the 36th Annual IEEE Conference on Foundations of Computer Science, 1995.Google Scholar
- 3.P. Crescenzi and V. Kann, A Compendium of NP Optimization Problems, Manuscript, 1995.Google Scholar
- 4.R. Greenlaw and R. Petreschi, Cubic graphs, ACM Computing Surveys, 27, 471–495, 1995.Google Scholar
- 5.M.M. Halldorsson, Approximating the minimum maximal independence number, Inform. Process. Lett., 46, 169–172, 1993.Google Scholar
- 6.V. Kann, On the Approximability of NP-Complete Optimization Problems, PhD Thesis, Department of Numerical Analysis and Computing Science, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockolm, 1992.Google Scholar
- 7.V. Kann, Polynomially bounded minimization problems that are hard to approximate, Nordic J. Computing, 1, 317–331, 1994.Google Scholar
- 8.C. Lund, and M. Yannakakis, On the Hardness of Approximating Minimization Problems, J. ACM 41, 960–981, 1994.Google Scholar
- 9.C. Papadirnitriou, and K. Steiglitz, Combinatorial Optimization Algorithms and Optimization, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1982.Google Scholar
- 10.C. Papadimitriou, and M. Yannakakis, Optimization, Approximation, and Complexity Classes, Journal of Computer and System Sciences, 43, 425–440, 1991.Google Scholar