Interval domain library for ECLiPSe and its application
Constraints are natural and convenient way of describing various types of relations between parameters. It's generally accepted that constraint systems can benefit to DB-systems. First they could be used for query optimization (by reducing the number of objects to be tested) both in traditional DB-systems and in databases with modern features like spatial or constraint indexes. In the former case the combination seems to be most reasonable since DB provides efficient way of handling and storing constraints which perfectly could be solved by ID-Library.
ID Library was tested on a lot of benchmarks for non-linear constraints solvers from different papers [DD96]. At present various engineering optimization problems are under development on the base of the ID library.
The integration of ID library into ECLiPSe was fulfilled in IC-PARC (Imperial College) and ICL, London. It was possible thanks to the support and help of W. O'Riordan, M. Rigg and M. Wallace. Our gratitude to all of them.
KeywordsLogic Programming Constraint Propagation Query Optimization Engineering Optimization Problem Interval Domain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BO95]F. Benhamou and W. Older. Applying interval arithmetic to real, integer and boolean constraints. Journal of Logic Programming, 1995.Google Scholar
- [DD96]S. K. Das and J. Dicker. Coupling ORACLE with ECLiPSe. The ICL Systems Journal, pages 123–144, May 1996.Google Scholar
- [ECR94a]ECRC. ECLiPSe 3.4: Extensions User Manual, 1994.Google Scholar
- [ECR94b]ECRC. ECLiPSe 3.4: Knowledge Base User Manual, 1994.Google Scholar
- [ECR95]ECRC. ECLiPSe 3.5 ECRC Common Logic Programming System, 1995.Google Scholar
- [GG95]V. Gaede and O. Günther, Constraint-based query optimization and processing, volume 1034 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 84–102. Springer-Verlag, 1995.Google Scholar
- [Knu94]V. Knueppel. PROFIL/BIAS — A Fast Interval Library. Computing, 53(3–4):323–335, 1994.Google Scholar
- [KW95]Gabriel Kuper and Mark Wallace, editors. Constraint Databases and Applications, volume 1034 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer-Verlag, 1995.Google Scholar
- [LS96]David Levin and Igor Shvetsov. A novel end user facilities based on Subdefinite Calculations. Technical Report 4, Russian Research Institute of Artificial Intelligence, 1996.Google Scholar
- [MTP94]B. Mayoh, E. Tyugu, and J. Penjaam, editors. Constraint Programming: Proceedings 1993 NATO ASI Parnu, Estonia, NATO Advanced Science Institute Series. Springer-Verlag, 1994.Google Scholar
- [Nar83]Alexander S. Narinyani. Subdefiniteness and basic means of knowledge representation. Computers and Artificial Intelligence, 2(5):443–452, 1983.Google Scholar
- [SBKL93]A. Semenov, A. Babichev, T. Kashevarova, and A. Leschenko. Unicalc, a novel approach to solving systems of algebraic equations. In Proc.of the International Conference on Numerical Analysis with Automatic Result Verification, pages 29–47, Lafayette, La, USA, February 1993.Google Scholar
- [Van96]Pascal Van Hentenryck. Helios: A modeling language for global optimization. In Proc.of PACT'96, pages 317–335, 1996.Google Scholar