The parallel surrogate constraint approach to the linear feasibility problem
The linear feasibility problem arises in several areas of applied mathematics and medical science, in several forms of image reconstruction problems. The surrogate constraint algorithm of Yang and Murty for the linear feasibility problem is implemented and analyzed. The sequential approach considers projections one at a time. In the parallel approach, several projections are made simultaneously and their convex combination is taken to be used at the next iteration. The sequential method is compared with the parallel method for varied numbers of processors. Two improvement schemes for the parallel method are proposed and tested.
Key wordsLinear and convex feasibility projection methods distributed computing parallel algorithms
Subject classifications (AMS)90C25 90C26 90C60
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Censor & Lent 82]Censor, Y., Lent, A.: Cyclic Subgradient Projections. Mathematical Programming, 24:233–235, 1982.Google Scholar
- [Censor & Zenios 95]Censor, Y., Zenios, S. A.: Parallel Optimization: Theory, Algorithms and Applications (to be published by Oxford University Press). October 18, 1995.Google Scholar
- [Gar.-Pal. 93]García Palomares, U. M.: Parallel Projected Aggregation Methods for Solving the Convex Feasibility Problem. SIAM Journal on Optimization, 3–4:882–900, November 1993.Google Scholar
- [Gar.-Pal. & Gon.-Cas. 96]García Palomares, U. M., González Castaño, F. J.: Acceleration technique for solving convex (linear) systems via projection methods. Technical Report OP960614, Universidade de Vigo, ESCOLA TÉCNICA SUPERIOR DE ENXEÑEIROS DE TELECOMUNICACIÓN, Lagoas Marcosende 36200 Vigo, Espana, 1996.Google Scholar
- [Geist et al. 94]Geist, A., Beguelin, A., Dongarra, J., Jiang, W., Manchek, R., Sunderam, V.: PVM: Parallel Virtual Machine. A User's Guide and Tutorial for Networked Parallel Computing. The MIT Press., Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1994.Google Scholar
- [Hir.-Urr. & Lemar. 93]Hiriart-Urruty, Jean-Baptiste and Lemaréchal, Claude: Convex Analysis and Minimization Algorithms. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1993.Google Scholar
- [Pissa. 84]Pissanetzky, Sergio: Sparse Matrix Technology. Academic Press Inc., London, 1984.Google Scholar
- [Ross 83]Ross, Sheldon M.: Stochastic Processes. John Wiley & Sons Inc., 1983.Google Scholar
- [Yang & Murty 92]Yang, K., Murty, K.G.: New Iterative Methods for Linear Inequalities. Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, 72:163–185, January 1992.Google Scholar