Finding optimal services within a CORBA trader
The growing of computer networks and transmission capacity causes the possibility of a rising amount of service offers in distributed systems. One of the CORBAservices is the trading service, which supports clients in searching for suitable services.
This paper introduces an evaluation process for selecting an optimal service offer from a trader's service directory. This mechanism uses a service distance function for computing the distance between a service request and a service offer. Minimizing this distance yields an optimal service. Therefore, existing methods for distance computation between vectors are used, and a new rulework for computing the distance between single service properties is developed. The resulting evaluation procedure is used for an implementation in a CORBA trader.
KeywordsCORBA Trading service Quality of service Service distance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Be 90]Bernard, R.: Decision-Aid and Decision-Making. In: Bana e Costa, C.: Readings in Multiple Criteria Decision Aid; Springer-Verlag, 1990.Google Scholar
- [CORBA]The Common Object Request Broker: Architecture and Specification. OMG Document Number 95.03.xx, Framingham, Massachusetts, 1995.Google Scholar
- [DP 94]Douligeris, C.; Pereira, I.: A Telecommunications Quality Study Using the Analytic Hierarchy Process. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 241–50, Feb. 1994.Google Scholar
- [MZP 95]Meyer, B.; Zlatintsis, S.; Popien, C.: Enabling Interworking between Heterogeneous Distributed Platforms. In: Schill, A.; Mittasch, C.; Spaniol, O.; Popien, C.: Distributed Platforms; Chapman & Hall, 1995.Google Scholar
- [ORBIX]Orbix — programmers guide & reference guide. IONA Technologies Ltd., Release 2.0, 1996.Google Scholar
- [PM 94]Popien, C.; Meyer, B.: A Service Request Description Language. In: Hogrefe, D; Leue, S.: Formal Description Techniques VII; Chapman & Hall, 1994.Google Scholar
- [PSW 96]Popien, C.; Schürmann, G.; Weiß, K.-H.: Distributed Processing in Open Systems (in German). Teubner, 1996.Google Scholar
- [QoS 95]ISO/IEC JTC1/SC21/N9309: Open System Interconnection, data management and Open Distributed Processing — Quality of Service, Basic Framework — Working Draft, January, 1995.Google Scholar
- [Sa 80]Saaty, T.L.: The Analytic Hierarchy Process. McGraw-Hill, 1980.Google Scholar
- [SPM 94]Spaniol, O.; Popien, C.; Meyer, B.: Services and Service Trading in Client/Server Systems (in German). Thomson Publishing GmBH, 1994.Google Scholar
- [Th 95]Thißen, D.: New Concepts of QoS (in German). Thesis at the Department of Computer Science IV at Aachen University of Technology, April 1995.Google Scholar
- [Zi 91]Zimmermann, H.-J.: Fuzzy Set Theory and its Applications, 2nd edition. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1991.Google Scholar
- [Zl 96]Zlatintsis, S.: Design and Valuation of a Trader Gateway between ANSAware and ORB Systems (in German). Diploma thesis at the Department of Computer Science IV at Aachen University of Technology, February 1996.Google Scholar