Topological routing schemes
In this paper, the possibility of using topological and metrical properties to efficiently route messages in a distributed system is evaluated.
In particular, classical interval routing schemes are extended to the case when sets in a suitable topological (or metrical) space are associated to network nodes and incident links, while predicates defined among such sets are referred in the definition of the routing functions.
In the paper we show that such an approach is strictly more powerful than conventional interval and linear interval routing schemes, and present some applications of the technique to some specific classes of graphs.
KeywordsDistributed systems compact routing tables interval routing shortest paths
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. Awerbuch, A. Bar-Noy, N. Linial, and D. Peleg. Compact Distributed Data Structures for Adaptive Routing. In Proc. 21st ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing, pages 479–489, 1989.Google Scholar
- 3.E. M. Bakker, J. van Leeuwen, and R. B. Tan. Linear Interval Routing Schemes. Algorithms Review, 2:45–61, 1991.Google Scholar
- 4.M. Flammini, G. Gambosi, U. Nanni, and R.B. Tan. Multi-dimensional interval routing schemes. In Proc. 9th International Workshop on Distributed Algorithms (WDAG'95), LNCS. Springer-Verlag, 1995.Google Scholar
- 5.M. Flammini, G. Gambosi, and S. Salomone. Boolean routing. In Proc. 7th International Workshop on Distributed Algorithms (WDAG'93), volume 725 of LNCS. Springer-Verlag, 1993.Google Scholar
- 6.M. Flammini, G. Gambosi, and S. Salomone. Interval routing schemes. In Proc. 12th Symp. on Theoretical Aspects of Computer Science (STACS'95), volume 900 of LNCS. Springer-Verlag, 1995.Google Scholar
- 7.M. Flammini, J. van Leeuwen, and A. Marchetti Spaccamela. The complexity of interval routing on random graphs. In Proc. 20th Symposium on Mathematical Foundation of Computer Science (MFCS'95), 1995.Google Scholar
- 8.P. Fraigniaud and C. Gavoille. Interval routing schemes. In Proc. 13th Annual ACM Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing, 1994.Google Scholar
- 13.P. Ružička. On efficiency of interval routing algorithms. In M.P. Chytil, L. Janiga, V. Koubek (Eds.), Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science 1988, volume 324 of LNCS. Springer-Verlag, 1988.Google Scholar
- 15.J. van Leeuwen and R. B. Tan. Computer networks with compact routing tables. In G. Rozenberg and A. Salomaa (Eds.) The Book of L, volume 790. Springer-Verlag, 1986.Google Scholar