Exploiting SML for experimenting with algebraic algorithms: The example of p-adic lifting
This paper shows the expressive power of the functional programming language Standard ML (SML) in the context of computer algebra. It is focused on a special application of the p-adic lifting technique, the Hensel algorithm, that is utilized in a symbolic but also numeric context. This experiment demonstrates that SML provides a suitable frame for the implementation of abstract algebraic notions together with the possibility to code related algorithms in a generic way on the corresponding level of abstraction.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Lau83]M. Lauer. Computing by Homomorphic Images. In R. Loos, B. Buchberger, and Collins E.G., editors, Computer Algebra — Symbolic and Algebraic Computation. Springer-Verlag, 1983.Google Scholar
- [Lim93]C. Limongelli. The Integration of Symbolic and Numeric Computation by padic Construction Methods. PhD thesis, Università degli Studi di Roma “La Sapienza”, 1993.Google Scholar
- [Lip81]J.D. Lipson. Elements of Algebra and Algebraic Computing. Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1981.Google Scholar
- [MT91]R. Milner and M. Tofte. Commentary on Standard ML. MIT Press, 1991.Google Scholar
- [MTH90]R. Milner, M. Tofte, and R. Harper. The Definition of Standard ML. MIT Press, 1990.Google Scholar
- [Pau91]L.C. Paulson. ML for the Working Programmer. Cambridge University Press, 1991.Google Scholar
- [Rep91]J.H. Reppy. CML: A Higher-Order Concurrent Language. In SIGPLAN'91 Conference on Programming Language Design and Implementation, pages 293–305, June 1991.Google Scholar
- [San89]D. Sannella. Formal Program Development in Extended ML for the Working Programmer. Technical Report ECS-LFCS-89-102, LFCS, Department of Computer Science, University of Edinburgh, December 1989.Google Scholar
- [San95]P.S. Santas. A Type System for Computer Algebra. Journal of Symbolic Computation, 19:79–109, 1995.Google Scholar
- [Tof94]M. Tofte. Principal Signatures for Higher-Order Program Modules. Journal of Functional Programming, 4(3):285–335, July 1994.Google Scholar
- [Vui87]J. Vuillemin. Exact Real Computer Arithmetic with Continued Fractions. Technical report, INRIA, Rocquencourt, France, 1987.Google Scholar
- [Yun74]D.Y.Y. Yun. The Hensel Lemma in Algebraic Manipulation. PhD thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, November 1974.Google Scholar