MPI-2: Extending the message-passing interface
This paper describes current activities of the MPI-2 Forum. The MPI-2 Forum is a group of parallel computer vendors, library writers, and application specialists working together to define a set of extensions to MPI (Message Passing Interface). MPI was defined by the same process and now has many implementations, both vendor-proprietary and publicly available, for a wide variety of parallel computing environments. In this paper we present the salient aspects of the evolving MPI-2 document as it now stands. We discuss proposed extensions and enhancements to MPI in the areas of dynamic process management, one-sided operations, collective operations, new language binding, real-time computing, external interfaces, and miscellaneous topics.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.World Wide Web MPI home page. http://www.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/standard.html.Google Scholar
- 2.R. Alasdair, A. Bruce, James G. Mills, and A. Gordon Smith. CHIMP/MPI user guide. Technical Report EPCC-KTP-CHIMP-V2-USER 1.2, Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre, June 1994.Google Scholar
- 3.Greg Burns, Raja Daoud, and James Vaigl. LAM: An open cluster environment for MPI. In John W. Ross, editor, Proceedings of Supercomputing Symposium '94, pages 379–386. University of Toronto, 1994.Google Scholar
- 4.Peter Corbett, Dror Feitelson, Yarsun Hsu, Jean-Pierre Prost, Marc Snir, Sam Fineberg, Bill Nitzberg, Bernard Traversat, and Parkson Wong. MPI-IO: A parallel file I/O interface for MPI, version 0.3. Technical Report NAS-95-002, NAS, January 1995.Google Scholar
- 5.Peter Corbett, Yarsun Hsu, Jean-Pierre Prost, Marc Snir, Sam Fineberg, Bill Nitzberg, Bernard Traversat, Parkson Wong, and Dror Feitelson. MPI-IO: A parallel file I/O interface for MPI, version 0.4. http://lovelace.nas.nasa.gov/MPI-IO, December 1995.Google Scholar
- 6.Nathan E. Doss, Purushotam V. Bangalore, and Anthony Skjellum. MPI++: Issues and Features. In Proceedings of OONSKI '94, January 1994.Google Scholar
- 7.The MPI Forum. The MPI message-passing interface standard. http://www.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/standard.html, May 1995.Google Scholar
- 8.William Gropp and Ewing Lusk. User's Guide for mpich, a Portable Implementation of MPI. Argonne National Laboratory, 1994.Google Scholar
- 9.Andrew Lumsdaine, Brian M. McCandless, and Jeffrey M. Squyres. Object-oriented MPI, 1996. http://www.cse.nd.edu/Ĩsc/research/oompi/.Google Scholar
- 10.Anthony Skjellum, Nathan E. Doss, and Kishore Viswanathan. Intercommunicator extensions to MPI in the MPIX (MPI eXtension) Library. Technical report, Mississippi State University — Dept. of Computer Science, April 1994. Draft version.Google Scholar