Laws of data parallel assignment
A set of laws for data parallel assignment is outlined. The laws illustrate the mathematical tractability of this programming construct and provide a means of correctly transforming a complex assignment into a sequence of simpler assignments which may then be interpreted on a variety of parallel architectures.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K.M. Chandy and J. Misra. Parallel Program Design: A Foundation. Addison-Wesley, 1988.Google Scholar
- 2.M. Clint, S. Fitzpatrick, T.J. Harmer, P.L. Kilpatrick, and J.M. Boyle. A family of data-parallel derviations. In W. Gentzsch and U. Harms, editors, Proceedings of High Performance Computing and Networking, Volume II, LNCS 797, pages 457–462. Springer-Verlag, 1994.Google Scholar
- 3.E.W. Dijkstra. A Discipline of Programming. Prentice-Hall, 1976.Google Scholar
- 4.D. Gries. The Science of Programming. Prentice-Hall International, 1981.Google Scholar
- 6.C.A.R. Hoare and P.E. Lauer. Consistent and complementary formal theories of the semantics of programming languages. Acta Informatica, 3:135–153, 1974.Google Scholar
- 7.M. Metcalf and J. Reid. Fortran 90 explained. Oxford University Press, 1990.Google Scholar
- 8.R.H. Perrott. A language for array and vector processors. ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems, 2:266–287, 1979.Google Scholar
- 9.A. Stewart. SIMD language design using prescriptive semantics. BIT, 28:639–650, 1988.Google Scholar
- 10.A. Stewart. An axiomatic treatment of SIMD assignment. BIT, 30:70–82, 1990.Google Scholar
- 12.P.J.L. Wallis. Some primitives for the portable programming of array and vector processors. BIT, 21:436–448, 1981.Google Scholar
- 13.J.P. Wray. The Semantics of Synchronised Assignment. PhD thesis, The Queen's University of Belfast, July 1992.Google Scholar
- 14.J.P. Wray. Algebraic laws and a normal form for data parallel assignment. Technical report, Department of Computer Science, The Queen's University of Belfast, May 1996.Google Scholar