Practical aspects of specialization of Algol-like programs
A “linearized” scheme of polyvariant specialization for imperative languages is described in the paper. The scheme is intended for increasing efficiency of specialization. Main properties of the scheme are linear generation of residual code and single memory shared by different variants of specialization process. We sketch a new kind of analysis, called configuration analysis, which is aimed on reducing memory usage during specialization. To demonstrate the advantages of the proposed scheme we discuss some benchmarks for the M2Mix partial evaluator for Modula-2 language.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Andersen, L.O.: Partial evaluation of C and automatic compiler generation. LNCS 641 (1992) 251–257.Google Scholar
- 2.Andersen, L.O.: Self-applicable C program specialization. In Procs. of the Partial Evaluation and Semantics-Based Program Manipulation'92 (1992) 54–61.Google Scholar
- 3.Baier, R., Glück R., Zöchling, R.: Partial evaluation of numerical programs in Fortran. In Procs. of the Partial Evaluation and Semantics-Based Program Manipulation'94 (1994) 119–132.Google Scholar
- 4.Barzdin, G.Ja., Bulyonkov, M.A.: Mixed computation and compilation: Linearization and decomposition of a compiler. Computing Center, Siberian Branch of the USSR Academy of Sciences Preprint 791 (1988) (In Russian).Google Scholar
- 5.Blazy, S., Facon, P.: Partial evaluation for the understanding of Fortran programs. In Procs. of the Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering'93 (1993) 517–525.Google Scholar
- 6.Bulyonkov M.A., Ershov, A.P.: How do ad-hoc compiler constructs appear in universal mixed computation processes? In Procs. of the Workshop Partial Evaluation and Mixed Computation (1988) 65–81.Google Scholar
- 7.Ershov, A.P., Itkin, V.E.: Correctness of mixed computation in Algol-like programs. LNCS 53 (1977) 59–77.Google Scholar
- 8.Ershov, A.P.: Mixed computation: Potential applications and problems for study. Theor. Comp. Sc. 18 (1982) 41–67.Google Scholar
- 9.Itkin, V.E.: An algebra and axiomatization system of mixed computation. In Procs. of the Workshop Partial Evaluation and Mixed Computation (1988) 209–224.Google Scholar
- 10.Jones, N.B., Gomard, C.K., Sestoft, P.: Partial Evaluation and Automatic Program Generation. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1993.Google Scholar
- 11.Jones, N.D.: Automatic program specialization: A re-examination from basic principles. In Procs. of the Workshop Partial Evaluation and Mixed Computation (1988) 225–282.Google Scholar
- 12.Marquard, M., Steensgaard, B.: Partial evaluation of an object-oriented imperative language. Master's thesis, DIKU, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, April 1992.Google Scholar
- 13.Ostrovski, B.N.: Implementation of controlled mixed computation in system for automatic development of language-oriented parsers. In Procs. of the Workshop Partial Evaluation and Mixed Computation (1988) 385–403.Google Scholar