On embedding 2-dimensional toroidal grids into de Bruijn graphs with clocked congestion one
For integers m, d, D with m≥3, d≥2, and D≥2, let T(m) be a 2-dimensional quadratic toroidal grid with side length m and let B(d,D) be the base d, dimension D de Bruijn graph; assume that ¦T(m)¦=¦B(d, D)¦. The starting point for our investigations is the observation that, for m, D even, embeddings f:T(m)→B(d, D) with load 1, expansion 1, and dilation D/2 can easily be found (and have previously been described in the literature). In the present paper, we pose the question whether or not there exist embeddings f:T(m)→B(d, D) with these properties and with clocked congestion 1. We prove results implying a positive answer to this question when d is greater than two. For d=2, we do not have a complete answer, but present partial results.
Key wordsde Bruijn graphs toroidal grids graph embeddings clocked congestion dilation interconnection networks parallel computers
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T. Andreae, M. Nölle, and G. Schreiber. Cartesian products of graphs as spanning subgraphs of de Bruijn graphs, in Proceedings of the 20th Workshop on Graph-Theoretic Concepts in Computer Science (WG 94), Herrsching, June 1994. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 903, pp. 140–151, Springer (1995).Google Scholar
- 4.J.C. Bermond and C. Peyrat, De Bruijn and Kautz networks: a competitor for the hypercube?, in Hypercube and Distributed Computers, F. Andre and J. Verjus, Eds., Amsterdam, 1989, pp. 279–294, North Holland, Elsevier Science Publisher.Google Scholar
- 5.J.A. Bondy and U.S.R. Murty, Graph theory with applications, McMillan, London, 1976.Google Scholar
- 6.M.C. Heydemann, J. Opatrny, and D. Sotteau, Embeddings of hypercubes and grids into de Bruijn graphs, Technical Report 723, LRI, University of Paris-Sud, Orsay, France, December 1991.Google Scholar
- 8.F.T. Leighton. Introduction to Parallel Algorithms and Architectures, Morgan Kaufman Publishers, San Mateo, California, 1992.Google Scholar
- 9.B. Monien and H. Susborough, Embedding one interconnection network in another, Computing Suppl., Springer Verlag, vol. 7, pp. 257–282, 1990.Google Scholar