Existential graphs and tense logic
In this paper it is argued that the founder of modern tense logic, A.N. Prior was very much inspired by the logic and philosophy of C.S. Peirce. It is also demonstrated how the most important tense logical systems of Prior, Kt, Kc and Kb, can be reformulated in terms of the existential graphs invented by Peirce.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berg, Harmen van den: 1993b, ‘Modal Logic for Conceptual Graphs', in Mineau, Guy W.; Moulin, Bernard; Sowa, John (editors), Conceptual Graphs for Knowledge Representation, Springer-Verlag, pp. 411–429.Google Scholar
- Capek, Milic: 1991, The New Aspects of Time, Boston Studies in the Philosophy of Science Vol. 125, Kluwer Academic Publishers.Google Scholar
- Keeler, M. The Philosophical Context of Peirce's Existential, University of Washington, Seattle.Google Scholar
- Moulin, B.; Coté, D.: 1992,'Extending the Conceptual Graph Model for Differentiating Temporal and Non-Temporal Knowledge', in [Nagle et al.], pp. 381–389.Google Scholar
- Moulin, B.: 1994, ‘The Temporal Structure of a Discourse and Verb Tense Determination', in W.M. Tepfenhart et al. (eds.), Conceptual Structures: Current Practices, Springer-Verlag 1994, pp. 45–68.Google Scholar
- Nagle, T.; Nagle, J.; Gerholz, L.; Eklund, P. (editors): 1992, Conceptual Structures, Current Research and Practice, Ellis Horwood Workshops.Google Scholar
- Peirce, C.S.: Collected Papers, 8 volumes (eds. P. Weiss, A. Burks, C. Hartshorne), Cambridge: Harward University Press, 1931–1958, (CP).Google Scholar
- Peirce, C.S., Application to the Carnegie Institution, July 15, 1902, Manuscript L75, Analytical reconstruction and editorial work by Joseph Ransdell, Indiana University, 1994.Google Scholar
- Prior, A. N.: 1957, Time and Modality, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Prior, A. N.: 1967, Past, Present and Future, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Roberts, Don D.: 1973,The Existential Graphs of Charles S. Peirce, Mouton.Google Scholar
- Øhrstrøm, P., van den Berg, H., Schmidt, J.: Some Peircean Problems Regarding Graphs for Time and Modality, Second International Conference on Conceptual Structures, University of Maryland, 1994, p.78–92.Google Scholar
- Øhrstrøm, P. & Hasle,P.F.V.: 1995, Temporal Logic. From Ancient Ideas to Artificial Intelligence, Studies in Linguistics and Philosophy 57, Kluwer Academic Publishers.Google Scholar