High performance OO traversals in monet
In this paper we discuss how Monet, a novel multimodel database system, can be used to efficiently support OODB applications. We show how Monet's offbeat view on key issues in database architecture provided both challenges and opportunities in building a high-performance ODMG-93 compliant Runtime System on top of it.
We describe how an OO data-model can be mapped onto Monet's decomposed storage scheme while maintaining physical data independence, and how OO queries are translated into an algebraic language. A generic model for specifying OO class-attribute traversals is presented, that permits the OODB to algebraicly optimize and parallelize their execution.
To demonstrate the success of our approach, we give OO7 benchmark results of our Runtime System for both the standard pointer-based object navigation, and our declarative model based on a path-operator traversal library.
KeywordsObject oriented databases Performance Benchmarking Database programming languages Database architectures Database Techniques Parallel Systems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. M. G. Apers, C. A. van den Berg, J. Flokstra, P. W. P. J. Grefen, M. L. Kersten, and A. N. Wilschut. PRISMA/DB: A parallel main memory relational DBMS. IEEE Trans. on Knowledge and Data Eng., 4(6):541, December 1992.Google Scholar
- 2.E. Bertino and W. Kim. Indexing techniques for queries on nested objects. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 1(2), June 1989. Also published in/as: Mathematisch Centrum (Amsterdam), now CMCSC, TR-ACT-OODS,132-89, Mar.1989.Google Scholar
- 3.P. A. Boncz, W. C. Quak and M. L. Kersten. Monet and its Geographical Extensions: A novel approach to high performance GIS processing. In Proc. EDBT'96 Conference, Avignon (France), March 1996.Google Scholar
- 4.P. A. Boncz and M. L. Kersten. Monet: An impressionist sketch of an advanced database system. In Proc. IEEE BIWIT workshop, San Sebastian (Spain), July 1995.Google Scholar
- 5.M. Carey, D. J. DeWitt, and J. F. Naughton. The DEC OO7 benchmark. In Proc. ACM SIGMOD Conf., page 12, Washington, DC, May 1993.Google Scholar
- 6.G. Copeland and S. Khoshafian. A decomposed storage model. In Proc. ACM SIGMOD Conf., page 268, Austin, TX, May 1985.Google Scholar
- 7.J. Duhl and C. Damon. A performance comparison of object and relational databases using the Sun benchmark. In Proc. ACM Conf. on Object-Oriented Programming Systems, Languages and Applications, ACM SIGPLAN Notices, page 153, November 1988.Google Scholar
- 8.R.G.G. Catell et al. The Object Database Standard. Morgan Kaufman, 1993.Google Scholar
- 9.et al. Neuhold, E. and Stonebraker, M. Future directions in DBMS research. ACM SIGMOD RECORD, 18(1), March 1989. Also published in/as: ICCS, Berkeley, TR-88-1, Sep.1988.Google Scholar
- 10.G. Graefe. Encapsulation of parallelism in the volcano query processing system. In 19 ACM SIGMOD Conf. on the Management of Data, Atlantic City, May 1990.Google Scholar
- 11.R. H. Gueting. Gral: An extensible relational database system for geometric applications”. In Proceedings of the 15th Conference on Very Large Databases, Morgan Kaufman pubs. (Los Altos CA), Amsterdam, August 1989.Google Scholar
- 12.S. Khoshafian, G. Copeland, T. Jagodits, H. Boral, and P. Valduriez. A query processing strategy for the decomposed storage model. In Proc. IEEE CS Intl. Conf. No. 3 on Data Engineering, Los Angeles, February 1987.Google Scholar
- 13.A.R. Lebeck and D.A. Wood. Cache profiling and the spec benchmarks: A case study. IEEE Computer, 27(10):15–26, October 1994.Google Scholar
- 14.P. Valduriez. Join indices. ACM Trans. on Database Sys., 12(2):218, June 1987.Google Scholar
- 15.C. A. van den Berg. Dynamic Query Optimization. PhD thesis, CWI (Center for Mathematics and Computer Science), February 1994.Google Scholar
- 16.C. A. van den Berg and M. L. Kersten. An analysis of a dynamic query optimisation scheme for different data distributions. In J. Freytag, D. Maier, and G. Vossen, editors, Advances in Query Processing, pages 449–470. Morgan-Kaufmann, San Mateo, CA, 1994.Google Scholar
- 17.C. A. van den Berg and A. van den Hoeven. Monet meets OO7. In OO Database Systems Symposium of the Engineering Systems Design and Analysis Conference, Montpellier (France), July 1996.Google Scholar