O(n log n)-average-time algorithm for shortest network under a given topology
In 1992, F.K. Hwang and J.F. Weng published an O(n2) operation algorithm for computing the shortest network under a given full Steiner topology interconnecting n fixed points in the Euclidean plane. The Hwang-Weng algorithm can be used to substantially improve existing algorithms for the Steiner minimum tree problem because it reduces the number of different Steiner topologies to be considered dramatically. In this paper, we prove that the Hwang-Weng algorithm can be improved to use O(n log n) operations in average.
KeywordsAnalysis of algorithms Steiner minimum trees shortest network under a given topology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E.J. Cockayne and D.E. Hewgill, Exact computation of Steiner minimal trees in the Euclidean plane, Information Processing Letters, Vol. 22(1986), pp. 151–156.Google Scholar
- 2.D.-Z. Du and F.K. Hwang, A proof of Gilbert-Pollak's conjecture on the Steiner ratio, Algorithmica, Vol. 7(1992), pp. 121–135.Google Scholar
- 3.D.-Z. Du, Y. Zhang and Q. Feng, On better heuristic for Euclidean Steiner minimum trees, In Proc. 32nd IEEE Symp. Found. Comp. Sci. (1991), pp. 431–439.Google Scholar
- 4.M.R. Garey, R.L. Graham and D.S. Johnson, The complexity of computing Steiner minimal trees, SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics, Vol. 32(1977), pp. 835–859.Google Scholar
- 5.E.N. Gilbert and H.O. Pollak, Steiner minimal trees, SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics, Vol. 16(1968), pp. 1–29.Google Scholar
- 6.F.K. Hwang, A linear time algorithm for full Steiner trees, Operations Research Letters, Vol. 4(1986), pp. 235–237.Google Scholar
- 7.F.K. Hwang, D.S. Richards and P. Winter, The Steiner Tree Problem, North-Holland, 1992.Google Scholar
- 8.F.K. Hwang and J.F. Weng, The shortest network under a given topology, Journal of Algorithms, Vol. 13(1992), pp. 468–488.Google Scholar
- 9.Z.A. Melzak, On the problem of Steiner, Canadian Mathematical Bulletin, Vol. 16(1961), pp. 143–148.Google Scholar
- 10.D. Trietsch and F.K. Hwang, An improved algorithm for Steiner trees, SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics, Vol. 50(1990), pp. 244–263.Google Scholar
- 11.P. Winter, An algorithm for the Steiner problem in the Euclidean plane, Networks, Vol. 15(1985), pp. 323–345.Google Scholar
- 12.A. Zelikovsky, An 11/6-approximation algorithm for the network Steiner problem, Algorithmica, Vol. 9(1993), pp. 463–470.Google Scholar