A content-balanced adaptive testing algorithm for computer-based training systems
There are two main obstacles that make use of adaptive testing in computer-based training difficult. One is the requirement of conducting a large-scale empirical study for item calibration. The other is the difficulty of generating content-balanced tests mat meet the goal of the test administrators. In this research, we have developed a new adaptive testing algorithm, CBAT-2, to provide a solution for these problems and some other practical problems in adaptive testing. CBAT-2 generates questions based on the portion of the course curriculum that meets the goals of a test. It uses a simple machine learning procedure to determine the item parameter values.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Birnbaum, A. (1968): Some latent trait models and their use in inferring an examinee's ability. In F. M. Lord and M. R. Novick, Statistical Theories of Mental Test Scores. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- 2.Collins, J. A., Greer, J. E. and Huang, S. X. (1996): Adaptive testing using granularity hierarchies and Bayesian nets. Proceedings of ITS '96.Google Scholar
- 3.Kingsbury, G. G. and Weiss, D. J. (1979): An Adaptive Testing Strategy for Mastery Decision. Research Report 79-5, Psychometric Method Program, Department of Psychology, University of Minnesota.Google Scholar
- 4.Kingsbury, G. G. and Zara, A. R. (1989): Procedures for selecting items for computerized adaptive tests. Applied Measurement in Education 2, 359–375.Google Scholar
- 5.Owen, R. J. (1975): A Bayesian sequential procedure for quantal response in the context of adaptive mental testing. Journal of the American Statistical Association 70, 351–356.Google Scholar
- 6.Wainer, H. (1990): Computerized Adaptive Testing: A Primer. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc., Publishers.Google Scholar
- 7.Wainer, H. and Kiely, G. L. (1987): Item clusters and computerized adaptive testing: A case for testlets. Journal of Educational Measurement 24, 189–205.Google Scholar
- 8.Welch, R. E. and Frick, T. W. (1993): Computerized adaptive testing in instructional settings. ETR&D 41, 47–62.Google Scholar