Automatic region labeling of the layered map
In this paper, we describe an automatic region labeling method, which identifies each region and recognizes region names. Before tracing the region boundaries, it extracts the region names which consist of characters, dots, dashes, and indication lines. It uses two recognition methods to recognize characters in the region name. In the case of recognizing the isolated characters, it uses the open and close features. The characters touching boundaries are recognized by template matching. After removing the components of region names from a map image, the boundaries of each region are extracted. After which it then vectorizes the region boundaries. From these recognition results, the original map can be constructed. It reduces the storage to one fifth of the original data. The proposed method shows 95% accuracy of region labeling.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Y.B. Kwon, J.R. Lee, Implementation of an automatic recognition system for extracting the map information, proc. of the 6-th IPU workshop, pp. 116–122, 1994.Google Scholar
- 2.R. Kasturi et al, Map Data Processing in Geographic Information System, IEEE Computer, Vol. 22, No. 12, pp. 10–21, 1989.Google Scholar
- 3.S. Suzuki and T. Yamada, MARIS: Map Recognition Input System, Pattern Recognition, Vol. 23, No. 8, pp. 919–933, 1990.Google Scholar
- 4.M. Ejiri et al, Automatic Recognition of Engineering Drawings and Maps, in Image Analysis Applications (R. Kasturi ed.), pp. 73–126, Marcel Dekker, 1990.Google Scholar
- 5.J.M. Ogier et al, Attributes Extraction for French Map Interpretation, Proc. of the ICDAR93, pp. 672–675, 1993.Google Scholar
- 6.Rik D.T. Janssen, Robert P.W. Duin, Albert M. Vossepoel, Evaluation Method for an Automatic Map Interpretation System for Cadastral Maps, Proc. of the ICDAR93, pp. 125–128, 1993.Google Scholar
- 7.T. Pavlidis, Algorithm for Graphics and Image Processing, Computer Science Press, pp. 142–148, 195–203, 1982.Google Scholar
- 8.S. Impedovo, A New Method for Automatic Reading of Typed/Handwritten Numerals, Proc. of IWFHR II, pp. 427–433, 1992.Google Scholar