A control system for an interactive Video on Demand server handling variable data rates
Providing an interactive Video on Demand (VoD) service to thousands of subscribers has been an area of active research. In this contribution we present the concept for a control system for an interactive VoD server. This control system is designed to anticipate upcoming periods of overload while giving statistical guarantees to the subscribers. This is achieved by enriching the data with additional control information and a special layout strategy on the disk. Therefore an overview about MPEG compression as far as meaningful to this work is given. At least mechanisms for the controlled reduction of the quality during overload situations are discussed. These mechanisms are intended to be fair and to minimize the damage to the subscribers.
KeywordsVideo on demand server Data request manager Stream agent Additional control information
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gemmell, J.D., Vin, H.M., Kandlur, D.D., Rangan, P.V., Rowe, L.A.: Multimedia storage servers: a tutorial, IEEE Computer, no. 5, 1995, pp. 40–49.Google Scholar
- Keeton, K., Katz, R.H.: Evaluating video layout startegies for a high-performance storage server, Multimedia Systems, no. 3, Springer Verlag, 1995, pp. 43–52.Google Scholar
- Lam, S.L., Chow, S., Yau, D.K.Y., An algorithm for lossless smoothing of MPEG video, Technical Report TR-94-04, Dept of Computer Sciences, University of Texas, Austin, 1994.Google Scholar
- Le Gall, D.: A video compression standard for multimedia applications, Communications of the ACM, vol. 34, no. 4, 1991, pp. 46–58.Google Scholar
- Lougher, P., Sheperd, D.: The design and implementation of a continuous media storage server, Proccedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Network and Operating System Support for Digital Audio and Video, San Diego, 1992, pp. 69–80.Google Scholar
- Patel, K., Smith, B.C., Rowe, L.A.: Performance of a software MPEG video encoder, Proceedings of the First ACM International Conference on Multimedia, Anaheim, CA, 1993, pp. 75–82.Google Scholar
- Ramakrishnan, K.K. et al.: Operating system support for a video-on-demand file service, Multimedia Systems, no. 3, Springer Verlag, 1995, pp. 53–65.Google Scholar
- Vin, M., Rangan, P.V.: Designing a multiuser HDTV storage server, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 11, no. 1, 1993, pp. 153–164.Google Scholar
- Wittig, H., Winckler, J., Sandvoss, J.: Network layer scaling: congestion control in multimedia communication with heterogenous networks and receivers, Proceedings of the COST 237 Workshop on Multimedia Transport and Teleservices, Springer-Verlag, 1994, pp. 274–293.Google Scholar