Optimal schedules for d-D grid graphs with communication delays
We consider a task graph model taking into account the communication among tasks of a parallel system. First, we assume that the available number of processors is adequate for dealing with the whole width of the task graph (i.e. the number of processors is unbounded), and we propose a schedule, called Line-Schedule, which executes the tasks of a d-dimensional grid graph (d-D grid in short) in the optimal time. We continue by proving that Line-Schedule is the only strategy able to execute a d-D grid in the optimal time. Furthermore, we compute the minimum number of processors required to execute a d-D grid optimally.
Key wordsscheduling communication grids DAGs
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.A. V. Aho, J. E. Hopcroft, J. D. UllmanThe Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms, Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA (1974).Google Scholar
- 3.R.J. Anderson, P. Beame, W. Ruzzo, Low overhead parallel schedules for task graphs, Proc. ACM Symp. Parallel Algorithms and Architectures 66–75 (1990).Google Scholar
- 4.E. Bampis, C. Delorme, J-C. König, Optimal Schedules for d-D Grid Graphs with Communication Delays, Technical Report N∘ 4, LaMI, University of Evry.Google Scholar
- 6.C. G. Bell, Gordon Bell on the future of computers, interview in SIAM NEWS, February 1987.Google Scholar
- 7.G. Birkhoff, S. MacLane, Algebra, 2nd Edition, Macmillan, (1979).Google Scholar
- 8.E.G. Coffman, P.J. Denning, Operating Systems Theory, Prentice Hall (1972).Google Scholar
- 9.Y. Colin, P. Chretienne, CPM scheduling with small interprocessor communication delays, Operation Research 39 3 680–684 (1991).Google Scholar
- 10.R.L. Graham, D.E. Knuth, O. Patashnik Concrete Mathematics, Addison-Wesley, (1989).Google Scholar
- 11.J. E. Hopcroft, J. D. Ullman, Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages, and Computation, Addison-Wesley (1979).Google Scholar
- 12.H. Jung, L, Kirousis, P. Spirakis, Lower bounds and efficient algorithms for multiprocessor scheduling of DAGs with communication delays, Proc. ACM Symp. Parallel Algorithms and Architectures (1989) 254–264, and Information and Computation 105 94–104 (1993).Google Scholar
- 15.C. Picouleau, Etude des Problèmes d'Optimisation dans les Systèmes Distribués, Ph D Thesis, University Paris VI, France (1993).Google Scholar
- 17.H. Wilf, Generatingfunctionology, Academic Press (1990).Google Scholar