Graph grammar based object recognition for image retrieval
In order to retrieve a set of intended images from an image archive, human beings think of special contents with respect to the searched scene. The necessity of a semantics-based retrieval leads to a content-based analysis and retrieval of images. From this point of view, our project Image Retrieval for Information Systems (IRIS) develops and combines methods and techniques of computer vision and knowledge representation in a new way in order to automatically generate textual content descriptions of images. IRIS retrieves the images using a conventional text retrieval system.
This paper concentrates on the discussion of formalization knowledge for modeling concepts and on object recognition by graph grammars.
Keywordsknowledge representation graph grammar content-based search image retrieval
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Nagy, “Image databases”, Image and Vision Computing, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 111–117, 1985.Google Scholar
- 2.A.E. Cawkell, “Imaging systems and picture collection management: a review”, Information Services & Use, vol. 12, pp. 301–325, 1992.Google Scholar
- 3.R.C Jain, Ed., NSF Workshop on Visual Information Management Systems, Workshop Report, Computer Science and Engineering Division, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich., 1992.Google Scholar
- 4.A.S. Chakravarthy, “Toward semantic retrieval of pictures and video”, in Proc. Riao'94, Intelligent Multimedia Information Retrieval Systems and Management. New York, 1994, pp. 676–686.Google Scholar
- 5.J. Brolio, B.A. Draper, J.R. Beveridge, and A.R. Hanson, “SR: a database for symbolic processing in computer vision”, Computer, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 22–30, 1989.Google Scholar
- 6.A. Pentland, R.W. Picard, and S. Sclaroff, “Photobook: Tools for content-based manipulation of image database”, in Proc. of SPIE on Storage and Retrieval for Image and Video Databases. San Jose, Calif., 1994, pp. 34–47.Google Scholar
- 7.R.W. Picard and T.P. Minka, “Vision texture for annotation”, Multimedia Systems, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 3–14, 1995.Google Scholar
- 8.Th. Hermes, Ch. Klauck, J. Kreyß, and J. Zhang, “Image retrieval for information systems”, in Proc. of SPIE — The Inter. Soc. for Optical Engineering, Storage and Retrieval for Image and Video Databases, 1995.Google Scholar
- 9.Ch. Klauck, Eine Graphgrammatik zur Repräsentation und Erkennung von Features in CAD/CAM, vol. No. 66 of DISKI, infix-Verlag, St. Augustin, 1994, Dissertation (Ph.D. Thesis), University of Kaiserslautern.Google Scholar
- 10.H.-J. Kreowski and G. Rozenberg, “On Structured Graph Grammars. I”, Information Sciences, vol. 52, pp. 185–210, 1990.Google Scholar
- 11.H.-J. Kreowski and G. Rozenberg, “On Structured Graph Grammars. II”, Information Sciences, vol. 52, pp. 221–246, 1990.Google Scholar
- 12.R. Lutz, “Chart Parsing of Flowgraphs”, in Proceedings of the 11th International Joint Conference on AI (IJCAI). 1989, pp. 116–121, Morgan Kaufmann.Google Scholar
- 13.Ch. Klauck, “Heuristic Driven Chart-Parsing”, in Proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Graph Grammars and their Applications to Computer Science 94, 1994, pp. 107–113.Google Scholar
- 14.S. Goeser, “A Logic-based Approach to Thesaurus Modelling.”, in Proceedings of the International Conference on Intelligent Multimedia Information Retrieval Systems and Management (RIAO) 94. 1994, pp. 185–196, C.I.D.-C.A.S.I.S.Google Scholar
- 15.P. Hanschke, A. Abecker, and D. Drollinger, “TAXON: A Concept Language with Concrete Domains.”, in Proceedings of the International Conference on Processing Declarative Knowledge (PDK) 91. 1991, pp. 411–413, Springer-Verlag, LNAI 567.Google Scholar
- 16.M. Fröhlich and M. Werner, “Demonstration of the interactive Graph Visualization System daVinci.”, in Proceedings of DIMACS Workshop on Graph Drawing '94. 1994, pp. 266–269, Springer-Verlag, LNCS 894.Google Scholar
- 17.Ch. Klauck and J. Mauss, “Feature Recognition in CIM”, Integrated Computer-Aided Engineerin: Special Issue on AI in Manufacturing and Robotics, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 359–373, 1994.Google Scholar