Fundamentals of context-sensitive rewriting
Recently we have introduced a novel class of rewrite relations we call context-sensitive rewriting that proves useful to mechanize a particular class of inference systems. In this paper, we give a more accurate characterization of some properties of context-sensitive rewriting. We also show that several reduction strategies used in λ-calculus namely weak reduction and lazy (call by name) reduction, can be viewed as an instance of the context-sensitive rewriting.
Keywordsterm rewriting systems regularity functional programming
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N. Dershowitz. A Taste of Rewrite Systems. In P.E. Lauer, editor, Proc of Functional Programming, Concurrency, Simulation and Automated Reasoning, volume 693 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 199–228, Berlin, 1993.Google Scholar
- 2.N. Dershowitz and J.P. Jouannaud. Rewrite Systems. In J. van Leeuwen, editor, Handbook of Theoretical Computer Science, volume B: Formal Models and Semantics, pages 243–320. Elsevier, Amsterdam and The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1990.Google Scholar
- 3.H. Ehrig and B. Mahr. Fundamentals of Algebraic Specification. volume 6 of EATCS Monographs on Theoretical Computer Science. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1985.Google Scholar
- 4.J.R. Hindley and J.P. Seldin. Introduction to Combinators and λ-Calculus. Cambridge University Press, 1986.Google Scholar
- 5.R. Lalement. Computation as Logic. Masson-Prentice Hall International, 1993.Google Scholar
- 6.S. Lucas. Computational properties in context-sensitive rewriting. In Proc. of 1995 Joint Conference on Declarative Programming, GULP-PRODE'95. To appear.Google Scholar
- 7.S. Lucas and J. Oliver. Context-sensitive rewriting. Technical report DSIC-II/23/94.Google Scholar
- 8.J. Meseguer. Conditional Rewriting Logic as an Unified Model of Concurrency. Journal of Theoretical Computer Science, 96:73–155, 1992.Google Scholar
- 9.R. Milner. The polyadic π-calculus: A tutorial. In F.L. Brauer, W. Bauer and H. Schwintenberg, editors, Logic and Algebra of Specifications, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1993.Google Scholar
- 10.S. L. Peyton-Jones. The Implementation of Functional Programming Languages. Prentice-Hall, 1987.Google Scholar
- 11.D. Plaisted. Equational Reasoning and Term Rewriting Systems. In D. Gabbay and J. Siekmann, editors, Handbook of Logic in Artificial Intelligence and Logic Programming, Oxford University Press, volume 1, 1994.Google Scholar