A study of distributed transaction processing in an internetwork
The rapid growth of interconnected computer networks has generated a lot of interest in migrating the distributed systems to a wide area network (WAN) environment, such as the Internet. We have developed mechanisms for studying the performance of the distributed transaction processing on the Internet, without actually having to move the database sites to remote Internet hosts. We have conducted experimental studies to analyze and understand the behavior of this transition on various transaction processing algorithms, such as concurrency control and atomicity control algorithms. The throughput, per-transaction response time, and abort rate of an industrial standard benchmark transactions have been measured and evaluated.
We conclude that the optimization of the number of messages for atomicity control is the single most important criteria for effectiveness of the algorithm in the Internet environment. We also suggest some directions for improvement of both the communication facilities and the transaction processing algorithms.
Keywordsdistributed databases performance internetwork communication
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AS92]Ashok K. Agrawala and Dheeraj Sanghi. Network dynamics: An experimental study of the Internet. In Proceedings of GLOBECOM'92, Orlando, FL, December 1992.Google Scholar
- [BFHR90]Bharat Bhargava, Karl Friesen, Abdelsalam Helal, and John Riedl. Adaptability experiments in the Raid distributed database system. In Proc of the 9th IEEE Symposium on Reliability in Distributed Systems, Huntsville, Alabama, October 1990.Google Scholar
- [BHF92]Bharat Bhargava, Abdelsalam Helal, and Karl Friesen. Analyzing availability of replicated database systems. International Journal of Computer Simulation, 1:393–418, 1992.Google Scholar
- [BR89]Bharat Bhargava and John Riedl. The Raid distributed database system. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, 15(6), June 1989.Google Scholar
- [BZ94]Bharat Bhargava and Yongguang Zhang. A study of distributed transaction processing in wide area networks. Technical Report CS-94-016, Purdue University, March 1994.Google Scholar
- [BZM91]Bharat Bhargava, Yongguang Zhang, and Enrique Mafla. Evolution of communication system for distributed transaction processing in Raid. Computing Systems, 4(3):277–313, Summer 1991.Google Scholar
- [Com88]Douglas E. Comer. Internetworking with TCP/IP. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1988.Google Scholar
- [GL91]Richard Golding and Darrel D. E. Long. Accessing replicated data in an internetwork. International Journal of Computer Simulation, 1(4):347–372, December 1991.Google Scholar
- [Gra91]Jim Gray, editor. The Benchmark Handbook for Database and Transaction Processing Systems. Morgan Kaufmann, San Mateo, CA, 1991.Google Scholar
- [Hei90]Steven A. Heimlich. Traffic characterization of the NSFNET national backbone. In Proceedings of the 1990 ACM SIGMETRICS Conference on Measurement and Modeling of Computer Systems, pages 257–258, Boulder, CO, May 1990.Google Scholar
- [HZB92]Abdelsalam Helal, Yongguang Zhang, and Bharat Bhargava. Surveillance for controlled performance degradation during failure. In Proc of the 25th Hawaii Intl Conf on System Sciences, pages 202–210, January 1992.Google Scholar
- [LCP91]D. D. E. Long, J. L. Carroll, and C. J. Park. A study of the reliability of Internet sites. In Proceedings of the 10th Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems, pages 177–186, Pisa, Italy, September 1991. IEEE.Google Scholar
- [ÖV91]M. Tamer Özsu and Patrick Valduriez. Distributed database systems: Where are we now? IEEE Computer, 24(8):68–78, August 1991.Google Scholar
- [PKL91]Calton Pu, Frederick Korz, and Robert C. Lehman. An experiment on measuring application performance over the Internet. In Proceedings of the 1991 ACM SIGMETRICS Conference on Measurement and Modeling of Computer Systems, San Diego, CA, May 1991.Google Scholar
- [SBCM93]George Samaras, Kathryn Britton, Andrew Citron, and C. Mohan. Two-phase commit optimizations and tradeoffs in the commercial environment. In Proceedings of 9th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering, pages 520–529, Vienna, Austria, April 1993.Google Scholar
- [SJR91]P. Spiro, A. Joshi, and T. K. Rengarajan. Designing an optimized transaction commit protocol. Digital Technical Journal, 3(1), Winter 1991.Google Scholar
- [Spe86]Alfred Z. Spector. Communication support in operating systems for distributed transactions. In Networking in Open Systems, pages 313–324. Springer Verlag, August 1986.Google Scholar
- [Wit91]Larry D. Wittie. Computer networks and distributed systems. IEEE Computer, 24(9):67–76, September 1991.Google Scholar
- [ZB93]Yongguang Zhang and Bharat Bhargava. Wance: A wide area network communication emulation system. In Proc. of IEEE workshop on Advances in Parallel and Distributed Systems, pages 40–45, Princeton, NJ, October 1993.Google Scholar