Semantics and verification of hierarchical CRP programs
Communicating Reactive Processes (CRP) paradigm unifies asynchronous and synchronous mechanisms of concurrent programming languages. As an example, CRP unifies Esterel and Hoare's Communicating Sequential Processes (CSP). It has been earlier shown that such a unification and in particular CRP can be used for the specification of hybrid systems and dynamic real-time systems. In this paper, we extend the CRP to support hierarchical refinement and describe a compositional semantics. Further, we show how verification can be done using the verification techniques and tools used for the verification of Esterel programs. We illustrate how a careful separation of Esterel and CSP mechanisms in CRP has enabled the use of the technique of verification by reductions for verification and illustrate the use of tools such as Auto/Autograph for the verification of CRP programs through the banker-teller example.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Berry (1992), A hardware implementation of pure Esterel, Sadhana: Academy Proceedings in Engineering Sciences, Indian Academy of Sciences, Special Issue on Real Time Systems, edited by RK Shyamasundar, 17 (1):95–139, 1992.Google Scholar
- 2.G. Berry and G. Gonthier, The Esterel synchronous programming language: Design, semantics, Implementation, SCP, Vol. 19, No.2, Nov. 92, pp. 87–152.Google Scholar
- 3.G. Berry, Causality in Esterel Programs, Dagstuhl Seminar on Synchronous Languages, 28 Nov–Dec 2'94.Google Scholar
- 4.G. Berry, S. Ramesh and R.K. Shyamasundar, Communicating Reactive Processes, 20th ACM POPL, South Carolina, Jan. 1993, pp. 85–99.Google Scholar
- 5.G. Berry, S. Ramesh and R.K. Shyamasundar, Multi-Clock ESTEREL, manuscript, December 1994.Google Scholar
- 6.O. Ploton, Identifying Causality in Esterel Programs, Dagstuhl Seminar on Synchronous Languages, 28 Nov–Dec 2' 94.Google Scholar
- 7.R.K. Shyamasundar, Specification of Hybrid Systems in CRP, Proc. of AMAST 93, Workshops in Computing Series from Springer-Verlag, Edited by M. Nivat, C. Rattray, T. Rus and G. Scollo, pp. 227–238, December 1993.Google Scholar
- 8.R.K. Shyamasundar, Specification of Dynamic Real-Time Systems in CRP, Proc. IFIP 94, Hamburg, Aug. 28–Sept 2'94.Google Scholar
- 9.R.K. Shyamasundar and S. Ramesh, Languages for Recative Specifications: Synchrony vs Asynchrony, Proc. FTRTFT, Lubeck, LNCS, 863, Sept 1994.Google Scholar
- 10.R. de Simone, Higher Level Synchronizing devices in Meije-SCCS, TCS, 37, pp 245–267, 1985.Google Scholar
- 11.R. de Simone and A. Ressouche, Compositional Semantics of ESTEREL and Verification by Compositional Reductions, Proc. of Computer Aided Verification 94, June 94.Google Scholar
- 12.V. Roy and R. de Simone, Auto and Autograph, In R. Kurshan, editor, proceedings of Workshop on Computer Aided Verification, New-Brunswick, June 1990.Google Scholar