Verification of hybrid systems using abstractions
A hybrid system models both discrete event and continuous dynamics. We present a modeling formalism and a verification methodology for hybrid systems. The verification methodology is based on abstracting the continuous dynamics in the hybrid system by simpler continuous dynamics. We present two methods for doing this: in the first method, a differential inclusion is replaced with a simpler differential inclusion; in the second method, we look at the timing information that is relevant to the verification problem, and construct an abstraction of the hybrid system with a timed automaton. We illustrate our methodology by applying it to the train-gate-controller example.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R.Alur, C.Courcoubetis, T.A. Henzinger and P.-H. Ho, Hybrid automata: an algorithmic approach to the specification and verification of hybrid systems, Hybrid Systems, LNCS 736, Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- 2.R. Alur and D. Dill, Automata for modeling real-time systems, Proc. 17th ICALP, LNCS 443, Springer-Verlag, 1990.Google Scholar
- 3.R.Alur, A.Itai, R.Kurshan and M.Yannakakis, Timing Verification by Successive Approximation, Proc. 4th Workshop Computer-Aided Verification, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 663, Springer-Verlag, 1992.Google Scholar
- 4.P.Kopke, T. Henzinger, A. Puri and P. Varaiya, What's Decidable About Hybrid Automata, STOCS 1995.Google Scholar
- 5.R.L. Grossman et al., eds., Hybrid Systems, LNCS 736, Springer-Verlag, 1993.Google Scholar
- 6.X.Nicollin, A. Olivero, J. Sifakis, and S.Yovine, An Approach to the Description and Analysis of Hybrid Systems, Hybrid Systems, LNCS 736, Springer-Verlag, 1993.Google Scholar
- 7.A. Puri and P. Varaiya, Decidability of Hybrid Systems with Rectangular Differential Inclusions, Computer-Aided Verification 1994, LNCS 818, Springer-Verlag, 1994.Google Scholar
- 8.A. Puri and P. Varaiya, Driving Safely in Smart Cars, American Control Conference 1995.Google Scholar
- 9.A. Puri, V. Borkar, and P. Varaiya, e-Approximation of Differential Inclusions, Draft.Google Scholar
- 10.P.Varaiya. Smart Cars on Smart Roads: Problems of Control. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 38(2):195–207, February 1993.Google Scholar