Approximation algorithms for time constrained scheduling
In this paper we consider the following time constrained scheduling problem. Given a set of jobs J with execution times e(j) ∈ (0, 1] and an undirected graph G=(J, E), we consider the problem to find a schedule for the jobs such that adjacent jobs (j,j′) ∈ E are assigned to different machines and that the total execution time for each machine is at most 1.
The goal is to find a minimum number of machines to execute all jobs under this time constraint. This scheduling problem is a natural generalization of the classical bin packing problem. We propose and analyse several approximation algorithms with constant absolute worst case ratio for graphs that can be colored in polynomial time.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.H.L. Bodlaender, K. Jansen and G.J. Woeginger, Scheduling with incompatible jobs, Workshop Graph Theoretical Concepts in Computer Science, LNCS 657 (1992) 37–49.Google Scholar
- 3.H.L. Bodlaender and K. Jansen, On the complexity of scheduling incompatible jobs with unit-times, Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science, LNCS 711 (1993) 291–300.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Brandstädt, Special Graph Classes — a Survey. Report SM-DU-199, Universität — Gesamthochschule Duisburg (1991).Google Scholar
- 5.A.K. Chandra, D.S. Hirschberg and C.K. Wong, Bin packing with geometric constraints in computer network design, Research Report RC 6895, IBM Research Center, Yorktown Heights, New York (1977).Google Scholar
- 6.E.G. Coffman, Jr., M.R. Garey and D.S. Johnson, Approximation algorithms for bin-packing — an updated survey, Algorithmic Design for Computer System Design, G. Ausiello, M. Lucertini, P. Serafini (eds.), Springer Verlag (1984) 49–106.Google Scholar
- 8.M.R. Garey and D.S. Johnson, Computers and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of NP-completeness, Freeman, San Francisco, 1979.Google Scholar
- 9.M.C. Golumbic, Algorithmic Graph Theory and Perfect Graphs, Academic Press, London, 1980.Google Scholar
- 10.M. Hujter and Z. Tuza, Precoloring extension. II. Graph classes related to bipartite graphs, Acta Math. Univ. Comenianae, 61 (1993).Google Scholar
- 11.M. Hujter and Z. Tuza, Precoloring extension. III. Classes of perfect graphs, unpublished manuscript (1993).Google Scholar
- 12.K. Jansen and P. Scheffler, Generalized coloring for tree-like graphs, Workshop Graph Theoretical Concepts in Computer Science, LNCS 657 (1992) 50–59.Google Scholar
- 13.K. Jansen and S. Öhring, Approximation algorithms for the time constrained scheduling problem, Forschungsbericht, Technische Universität München (1995).Google Scholar
- 15.J. Kratochvil, Precoloring extension with fixed color bound, Acta Math. Univ. Comenianae, 62 (1993) 139–153.Google Scholar
- 16.C. Lund and M. Yannakakis, On the hardness of approximating minimization problems, 25.th Symposium on the Theory of Computing (1993) 286–293.Google Scholar
- 17.Y. Minyi, A simple proof of the inequality FFD(L)≤11/9 OPT(L)+1, ∀L for the FFD bin-packing algorithm, Acta Math. Appl. Sinica, 7 (1991) 321–331.Google Scholar
- 18.D. Simchi-Levi, New worst-case results for the bin-packing problem, Naval Research Logistics, to appear.Google Scholar