Spatial-temporal data management for a 3D graphical information system
In this paper, we propose a spatio-temporal data management method for a 3D graphical facility management system. To provide highly interactive environment, we propose a 3D spatial data management method based on multiple 2D-trees. With the method, interactive operations such as smooth walkthrough and interactive information retrieval in 3D space are made possible. Then, we augment the data structure to deal with the temporal information as well as the spatial information. MP-tree is proposed for spatio-temporal data management. With the use of the data structure, efficient temporal search is made possible keeping the performance of spatial search. We also present a 3D electric facility management system using our data management method.
- 1.J.L.Bentley, “Multidimensional binary search trees used for associative searching”, Comm. ACM, Vol.18, pp. 509–517 (1975).Google Scholar
- 2.H.Samet, ”The design and analysis of spatial data structures”, Addison-Wesley (1989).Google Scholar
- 3.N.Sarnak and R.E.Tarjan, “Planar point location using persistent search trees”, Comm. ACM, Vol.29, pp. 669–679 (1986).Google Scholar
- 4.T.Tamada, Y.Nakamura and S.Takeda, ”An efficient 3D object management and interactive walkthrough for the 3D facility management system”, Proc. IECON '94, pp. 1937–1941 (1994).Google Scholar
- 5.T.Teraoka, M.Maruyama, and S.Nishida, “The MP-tree: A data structure for spatio-temporal data”, Proc. International Phoenix Conference on Computers and Communications '95, pp. 326–333 (1995).Google Scholar