Integer programming for partitioning in software oriented codesign
This paper presents a new partitioning method for software oriented hardware/software codesign. It is applied to the use of field-programmable accelerator boards. In the underlying model the dedicated hardware has no direct access to the host memory, and communication is slow. Therefore detailed data-flow information is necessary to minimize the communication overhead between host and accelerator board. The partitioning problem is formulated as an integer (linear) program which simultaneously determines which code regions should be implemented in dedicated hardware and which data has to be communicated, so that well-known optimization algorithms can be applied.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Thornburg, S. Casselman, and J. Schewel. Engineers' Virtual Computer Users Guide — EVC1s. Virtual Computer Corporation, 1994.Google Scholar
- 2.R. Ernst, J. Henkel, and Th. Benner. Hardware-Software Cosynthesis for Microcontrollers. IEEE Design & Test of Computers, pages 64–75, December 1993.Google Scholar
- 3.A. Jantsch, P. Ellervee, J. öberg, A. Hemani, and H. Tenhunen. A software oriented approach to hardware/software codesign. In Proc. of the Poster Session of CC'94 — Internat. Conf. on Compiler Construction, Technical Report, Dept. of Comp. and Inform. Science, Linköping Univ., Sweden, April 1994.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Jantsch, P. Ellervee, J. öberg, A. Hemani, and H. Tenhunen. Hardware/software partitioning and minimizing memory interface traffic. In Proc. of European Design Automation Conf. '94. IEEE Computer Society Press, September 1994.Google Scholar
- 5.H. W. Thimbleby, S. Inglis, and I. H. Witten. Displaying 3D images: Algorithms for single-image random-dot stereograms. Computer, pages 38–48, October 1994.Google Scholar
- 6.A.V. Aho, R. Sethi, and J.D. Ullman. Compilers — Principles, Techniques, and Tools. Addison-Wesley, 1986.Google Scholar
- 7.Th. Lengauer. Combinatorial Algorithms for Integrated Circuit Layout. Teubner/John Wiley & Sons, 1990.Google Scholar
- 8.M. Berkelaar. Unix manual page of lp_solve. Eindhoven University of Technology, Design Automation Section, 1992.Google Scholar